magsafe lose

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by impulse462, Nov 4, 2009.

1. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Hi all,

My friend has a late uMB and his magsafe port is very very lose. Coincidentally, his battery stopped charging around 10 days after. His computer always runs on AC power and it says the battery isnt charging but it gains around 4% every hour. He thinks its because the lose port, but I think something else is wrong. Anyone have any ideas?

He has tried 3 batteries to no avail. Any help is appreciated.

2. impulse462 thread starter Suspended

impulse462

update:

i was able to secure the magsafe port, but that (as i suspected) had nothing to do with it.

on further inspection, when the computer is connected via the ac adapter, the light that should illuminate does not. when plugged into another macbook (13inch, 13inch pro, 15inch pro), the cord works absolutely fine and the light appears.

In each of the laptops I tested, i went into the system profiler app and it shows all the details of the power cord such as wattage ratings etc.

On my friends computer however, all that is shown in that area is a bunch of 0s. Would anyone have any idea why that is? I'm pretty sure that is causing the problem but i don't know how to fix it.

Thank you in advance.

3. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Sounds like either the charging circuitry or the AC/DC inverter is shot.

4. impulse462 thread starter Suspended

impulse462

If he were to go to a genius bar, what would they do to fix it? replace the logic board?

I don't know as much about electricity as I do computers, but isn't the ac/dc inverter the box on the power cord where it says 60W. If so, that worked with other laptops.

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Err...yeah, my bad. The AC-DC converter is the brick, I was thinking of the DC-in board, sorry about that. I believe you can replace that part without needing the whole logic board. If he's got AppleCare, definitely hit up the genius bar since it'll be a "free" repair.