MagSafe Magnets

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by k3roro, Nov 13, 2011.

1. k3roro macrumors 6502

Dear all, this is probably a dumb question, but I thought magnets were not good for your PC / Cellphone.

I am just wondering whether the magnets in the MagSafe charger would damage the screen / internals of the iPhone if placed closed to / on top of it. Same question goes for the MacBook.

Thanks.

2. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

The magnets aren't on the charger end, they are on the machine.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The magnets in the MagSafe are designed to not interfere with the Macbook's systems. iPhones, iPads, and other flash based iPods are not affected by magnets. For modern hard drives, a fairly powerful magnet is needed to begin to damage the data. Your typical refrigerator magnet is usually not powerful enough.

4. Swain macrumors member

How about these?:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax2BOCoVDJk

5. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

6. k3roro thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm a bit confused.

I thought there needs to be magnets on both end for them to attract to each other. So it would make sense to have magnets on the charger end as well as the laptop end.

----------

While I fully believe this and understand that Apple would not overlook this, I guess I am just curious as to how these things work.

I guess for the average consumer, I should just sit back and expect everything to work and not know what are the internals.

7. thundersteele macrumors 68030

A piece of magnetizable metal is enough. Your fridge is not magnetic, yet fridge door magnets will stick to it.

8. k3roro thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh wow, boy do I look stupid.

Thanks guys =)