Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

k3roro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2010
Dear all, this is probably a dumb question, but I thought magnets were not good for your PC / Cellphone.

I am just wondering whether the magnets in the MagSafe charger would damage the screen / internals of the iPhone if placed closed to / on top of it. Same question goes for the MacBook.

Thanks.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The magnets in the MagSafe are designed to not interfere with the Macbook's systems. iPhones, iPads, and other flash based iPods are not affected by magnets. For modern hard drives, a fairly powerful magnet is needed to begin to damage the data. Your typical refrigerator magnet is usually not powerful enough.

k3roro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2010
The magnets aren't on the charger end, they are on the machine.

I'm a bit confused.

I thought there needs to be magnets on both end for them to attract to each other. So it would make sense to have magnets on the charger end as well as the laptop end.

----------

The magnets in the MagSafe are designed to not interfere with the Macbook's systems. iPhones, iPads, and other flash based iPods are not affected by magnets. For modern hard drives, a fairly powerful magnet is needed to begin to damage the data. Your typical refrigerator magnet is usually not powerful enough.

While I fully believe this and understand that Apple would not overlook this, I guess I am just curious as to how these things work.

I guess for the average consumer, I should just sit back and expect everything to work and not know what are the internals.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
I'm a bit confused.

I thought there needs to be magnets on both end for them to attract to each other. So it would make sense to have magnets on the charger end as well as the laptop end.

A piece of magnetizable metal is enough. Your fridge is not magnetic, yet fridge door magnets will stick to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.