Magsafe & Magsafe 2 - Retina MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wct097, Sep 11, 2014.

1. wct097 macrumors 6502

When I purchased my Retina MBP back in 2012, I had a spare Magsafe adapter from my previous generation 15" (2011) MBP. I ordered one of the adapters along with my RMBP and have been using that older adapter with it ever since. Aside from the cable fraying a bit, the old adapter has been working fine, I think.

Would that old power adapter be a 60W or an 85W? I haven't had any issues with it charging, to my knowledge.

I'm ordering a replacement Magsafe 2 cord to fix a frayed cord on my newer adapter and was thinking I could do the same with the old adapter since it's frayed as well. Any reason to think I couldn't replace the old Magsafe cord with a newer Magsafe 2 cord on the old adapter?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

That old power adapter has the power rating written on it unless it rubbed off. You CAN use any power adapter with a Mac, regardless of wattage, going lower will simply make it charge slower, and going higher will have no effect.

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

The 2011 15" and 17" variants use an 85W MagSafe charger. You can buy a MagSafe-MagSafe 2 adapter for it.

That's what I did. It's still my main charger for my 15" 2011 and late-2013 15" rMBP, while the brand-new MagSafe 2 that came with my rMBP is still sitting in the box.

4. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    I've read mixed things about the adapter. Like it can get stuck or lost easily. I wanted to get it at first but I just ended up buying a used Magsafe 2 power adapter off of Amazon for $50 w/ shipping.

5. Anitramane macrumors 6502

Going lower while using a lot of system power will have the battery drain.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

Which doesn't damage anything, it's merely an annoyance.

7. Anitramane macrumors 6502

I would describe it more like Apple being Apple

8. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

I bought the $10 adapter. It works well and it's cheaper than buying a new power adapter. I don't want to give Apple any more money than I have to!

It hasn't gotten stuck, but because the old cord plugs into this new one, it sticks out a little bit further from the computer. There seems to be more leverage on it and it comes out easier. But this isn't necessarily a bad thing.

The magnet is pretty strong between the old connector and the adapter so I'm not afraid of it coming loose there, but I keep this one in my office and travel with the newer Magsafe 2 power adapter.

[​IMG]