Magsafe Melted! For the second time (PIC)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by diametric, Jul 12, 2008.

1. diametric macrumors regular

diametric

My Magsafe adapter for my Macbook has frayed and melted (it smells burnt too), and this is on my second adapter. The one that was packaged with my Macbook melted and frayed at the connection area, whilst this one has melted next to the AC adapter block.

I checked the receipt and I bought it in March of 2007.
    I live in Sydney, so I was wondering whether the newly opened official Apple Store would still do a replacement?

Has anyone else had this sort of problem, and has Apple helped?

I really don't want to dish the $A109 price tag, though, it is slightly less than the $A125 of last time.
    Sigh.

Pictures below.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jak3 macrumors regular

Wow...that really sucks...you can try and see if they will replace it, it won't hurt you or anything...except for the gas it costs you to get there...:(

3. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

Was the last one that burned up plugged into the same power socket on your wall? If so, I'd have an electrician take a look to make sure the power is clean and within the correct tolerances.

Are you using a power strip or UPS in between you and the wall?

Do lightbulbs in your place seem to die more frequently than they should?

As an aside, if you have pictures from the first incident as well as these from the second, I'd be in touch with Apple with pictures, dates, and receipts in hand.

4. dollystereo macrumors 6502a

dollystereo

My first mag safe melted within my 3 years of applecare, they replaced it.

5. diametric thread starter macrumors regular

diametric

The first adapter was plugged into the same power strip, yeah. I've got those wall extensions with 4-5 plugs on them. Nothing's gone wrong with the other cables connected to the same outlet.

I've got the first, old adapter, but just the cut end:

[​IMG]

I'll take them both in with their respective receipts (for the Macbook and the the newer adapter) to the Apple Store in Sydney tomorrow, I've arranged for a Genius Bar reservation, hopefully the 15$ train ticket into the city isn't a loss since it's no longer covered under the 1-year warranty.

Humf. I've got half an hour left of juice on the mac, and sadly, I've got no other computer. Ohwell.

Thanks for everyone who's responded.

EDIT:

I've been doing some googling and I've found that a lot of other people have this problem aswell:

[​IMG]
    (A Guy Called Mike on flickr)

And another user with the same problem on MacRumors:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=480224

And an article on Ars also documenting this issue:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2006/6/26/4449

And Apple's comment on this issue, as well:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1414?viewlocale=en_US

"If the DC cable shows visible strain relief damage, is severely crimped/bent, or if the cable is missing insulation or rubber in some areas, contact Apple. Even if your product is out of warranty, you can take your adapter (you don't need to take the computer) to an Apple-Authorized Service Provider or Apple Retail Store for evaluation and replacement if necessary. You should not use power adapters that have strain relief damage or missing insulation or rubber."

It looks like I should be getting this replaced tomorrow in this case, in any case...

Should I show this thread to the Genius tomorrow? Any replies appreciated.

6. mosx macrumors 65816

7. Alan Taylor macrumors 6502

Alan Taylor

I had the same problem as the OP and NEVER wrapped it around the box - it's always been loose and just dumped in a bag when I travel.

Rev A MBP, first died at the laptop side, second at the power brick side.

Apple should replace them at no cost because it is a fault with the adaptor, not to mention a potential fire hazard.

8. diametric thread starter macrumors regular

diametric

Problem Resolved!

Yay for Apple!
    Took both of my dead Magsafe's into the Genius Bar today, and, after some typing away at the computer, the nice genius went out to the back and came back with TWO! magsafe's. Swapped them with mine. And done.

Very VERY happy with Apple support.
    :apple:

9. Jak3 macrumors regular

Holy Cow...that is a sweet deal right there!

Go Apple indeed...

*stares at MS* :mad:

10. Xtreambar macrumors regular

The same thing happended to me a few months ago. I took it to a genius bar and they swapped it with no hassle.

11. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hmm... Seems everyone else are having really bad luck with their power-brick.
    I'm still on the original one, it's two years old now, going on three!
    Originally purchased in the UK, travelled to New York,
    then Germany, Spain, UK, Hong Kong, Singapore, UK and
    now it's in Japan!

Should I be worried?

12. Tensakun macrumors 6502

Tensakun

Glad your story had a happy ending (and wish I could get to Sydney on only 15 bucks, love that city!).

Yeah, that's the way to go. Don't wanna stress any cord with delicate connectors. Once had a third party brick (a Madsonline--normally good products) start to smoke on me while I was teaching a class. Jiggling it only made sparks fly until I yanked the main cord out of the power strip. Did much to enhance my "mad professor" reputation.

When I get my new MacBook will definitely get two extra bricks (gotta have one at home, one at office, and one in the bag). Hope none of 'em has a problem!

13. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Cable strain. You can't wrap the cable up so tight. I don't even use the built in cable management system they provide. I use a rubber band. And it works great. I've had this adapter for 2 years and it's mint.

Attached Files:

14. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

That looks to me like you still have the clear plastic protective film wrapped around the powerbrick. I see a lot of people who don't realise you're meant to unwrap them.

Possibly the heat insulation effect contributed to the overheating?

15. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

I think these adapters are poorly engineered, theres not a lot of support for the wires poking out of the small rubber nubs. I've had my original adapter for almost 2yrs now w/ no probs, but only because I basically feel like I have to "tip toe" around using the thing...its kinda sad.

16. LondonGooner macrumors regular

My one melted about 18 months after i got the macbook, and they replaced it free of charge ofcourse. This is a known problem & a fire hazard, so they are forced to replace them, similar to the Sony / Dell / Apple battery problems a couple years back.

Stop blaming the user for this problem, its happened to countless people. I can assure you I treated my chord with alot of care and it was not wrapped in plastic.

17. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I'm hearing too that you have to make sure your outlet is properly grounded. Here in the US, people have been using the 2-prong cord on these magsafes, instead of the 3-prong ones. Grounded plugs are the ones that we are supposed to be using.

18. logana macrumors 65816

logana

The adaptors are double-insulated and do not require a ground or earth. Two pin plugs are fine - the earth connection on the plug is not connected to anything inside the adaptor.

19. patmort02 macrumors member

Wow this happened to both myself and my room mate this weekend. We couldn't believe it...we thought a mouse chewed them. Well I'm relieved to know that Apple will replace them with Applecare.