magsafe not safe?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eleanorrigbyy, Dec 5, 2007.

1. eleanorrigbyy macrumors newbie

I got my Macbook Pro in July of this year. Just this morning I noticed the wires were exposed on the magsafe charger. It looked rather burned. I Googled it and saw many many claims of magsafe chargers burning, catching fire, breaking, etc. Luckily, my Mac is still under warranty so I can bring it to the store and get a new charger, but if it's an ongoing problem shouldn't Mac change it? How long will my new charger last? I haven't read anywhere about new chargers being released. Anyone else encounter this problem?

http://bitchinablog.blogspot.com/

2. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

I've had my MacBook for over a year before I gave it away, and I didn't have any problem with the MagSafe whatsoever. I'm pretty sure this is a relatively isolated problem, just return it and get a new one.

3. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

4. eman macrumors 6502a

No fraying here. I always grab the plug when I unplug the magsafe and never pull the cord. This may be the problem.
    Call Apple they will send you a new one and save yourself a trip.

5. eleanorrigbyy thread starter macrumors newbie

they said there's no call support in my warranty

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Do you tie up your power adapter cord this way? (See photo below) I alwayd done it that way, and never have problems.

Many people do not know how to wrap the cord properly, or they grab by the cord instead of the plug...

Attached Files:

7. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

My power brick is much bigger than that one!! Where did you buy it?

8. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

My original one frayed and everyone called me a liar. That'll teach em'.

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

looks like the macbook one which is smaller than the mbp

10. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Actually there's a new Macbook Pro Charger that came out a while ago and it's smaller.

11. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

I have the new MBP charger, after getting my old one replaced cause it wouldn't charge right. Its as small as the Macbooks' but provides the same 85w of power. I love how small it is.

There is an even safer way of wrapping it than the one pictured. It looks like they pull the cord tight right from the base, which is a big no no. Leave slack so the wire coming out of the adapter is straight, then proceed to wrap it around the ears.

12. portent macrumors 6502a

If you think you have a problem with any electrical device, please report it to

http://www.cpsc.gov/talk.html (in the US) or the appropriate safety agency in other countries. They can investigate it properly.

Blogging/posting about it makes no difference to anyone, and only spreads incomplete and potentially damaging information.

13. polycat33 macrumors 6502

I've heard a lot of people having this issue, it is not an isolated incident. However, I think they may have started making them stronger around the magsafe side so that it doesn't happen, so hopefully they replace it for you, and then it shouldn't happen again. And always pull from the plug itself and not by the chord.

14. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

15. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

NOT if people pull by the cord, instead of using it properly. Notice how no one said: I wrapped my cord properly according to the picture, and i never pull it by the cord, and it is still damaged.

16. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

A lot of people do not know how to treat their electronics. One typical mistake is picking up a laptop by the screen (many dell users). And they wonder why their screen hinge broke.