magsafe not working. Brick is fine, magnetic connector bad...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by harlequin29, Dec 13, 2009.

1. harlequin29 macrumors newbie

Macbook Pro 2.2

Is there a way to replace just the magnetic area. One of the electric pins inside is not springing out. The connector ends up getting warm and now it will not even charge. I am using girfriend's macbook magsafe.

Thanks!

I dont want to have to buy a new magsafe when I could possibly just replace the connector.

2. scott523 macrumors 6502a

These are vicious adapters to use but there's no real way to get around this until they redesign them. The problem is when it's charging the computer while it's running intensive applications requiring a lot of power from the adapter. The connectors would get too hot and may burn to the point that it melts, separates from the cord, and creates a fire hazard. Either the adapter that came with your MacBook Pro or one that was purchased separately within a year is still under a warranty for replacement or you'll have to get a new one adapter entirely. This isn't something that is user-friendly replaceable such as a battery, though it's what we all wish it would be to save money. :eek:

One good thing to keep an eye out for, when you get a new adapter, is to make sure the connectors (on both ends) are clean of any foreign material to prevent any short circuit. Also avoid any unneccessary strain to the magsafe cable between your computer and the brick. Some voluntary care should be taken too. If you realize your adapter is getting uncomfortably hot while charging, it's best that you take it out make sure the connectors are clean and let it cool down for bit I suppose.