MagSafe not working, help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Drtydzn12, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Drtydzn12 macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a Unibody 15" Macbook Pro. My magsafe doesn't seem to be working. Everytime I plug it in, it says "(Not Charging) on the top right, and it's stuck at 5%. On top of that, I noticed that the screen will flicker. It won't shut the screen off, but instead, the screen brightens really quick every second. That's irritating.

When I look at the actual magsafe itself, the LED doesn't work either. It's actually stuck at one color. By that, I mean I don't even have to connect it to the macbook, and the light will be on. Sometimes it's a really dull green, or orange. When I unplug the magsafe itself from the wall socket, the light turns off. Plug it back in, turns on again.

I'm thinking that it has something to do with the magsafe.

I went to sleep with the magsafe plugged into the wall. And I woke up to a rude awakening of thunder and lightning. Could it be a short circuit or that it's fried? I seriously don't know.

Thanks for the help.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Take it to an Apple Store, go to the Genius Bar, and ask to try one of their MagSafe connectors. If there's none nearby, go to your nearest Mac retailer and "borrow" one of the cables from the display models. ;)

3. Drtydzn12 thread starter macrumors newbie

okay it works now. My battery is charging. However, it doesn't start charging until 15 minutes after I connect the magsafe...

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Well, charge up and see if the problem persists. If so, it's still worth trying a new one. If that's the problem, it's the cheapest replacement to make.