magsafe oddness - is this normal, or worth a trip to apple store?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Queen of Spades, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

The magsafe adapter for my aluminum macbook only works one way when plugged in. Meaning, if I plug it into the computer, sometimes it does not work/light up. The part that goes into the computer must be rotated to the other side to work and charge the computer. I don't remember this ever being the case for any of my other magsafes, but I wanted to double check to see if this is normal.

The other issue I'm having is I've noticed when the computer is running off the charger, it runs considerably hotter than when it's on battery power. As much as 15 celsius degrees hotter. I can't figure out why this would be, but again, I wanted some input as to whether or not this is normal.

I don't mind going to the Apple store (the computer is still within warranty), but I'd rather not waste my time or the genius' time if this is common.

Thanks in advance.

2. chipandtoast macrumors member

Most electronics run hotter when being charged. I don't know about your charger though. Try calling apple if you have applecare.

3. unixfool macrumors 6502a

Something is wrong with your cord...not the connector itself but somewhere close to it. I'd bet that there's some type of disconnect. Mine melted 2 yrs ago, on the opposite end. Something shorted out and I smelled something burning. I looked and saw the cord melting. I took it in and they replaced it.

I've got pics somewhere.