Magsafe Plug looks burnt?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jlluna, Aug 18, 2011.

1. jlluna macrumors 6502

Hello everyone! I have a macbook pro late 2010, 13". I have it hooked up to a monitor and i use apple keyboard and trackpad. it almost never moves, or even gets unplugged. I opened my computer today to blow the fan out as it collects dust and i do not wanted to over heat.I do this once a year. When i took the cover off i noticed were the power cored plugs into, the plastic looks burnt. The computer is running well, but do these plugs usually go bad after a while. I have some pictures tell me what you think. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. jlluna thread starter macrumors 6502

Man I just realized i posted this in the wrong thread. Could someone move it for me or delete it wii repost it . Sorry!

3. krburrell macrumors regular

4. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Are you using an OEM Apple charger, and does the charger plug look burnt? I'd call AppleCare, they are pretty sensitive towards these types of issues.

5. G-Force macrumors 6502a

It looks fine to me, it just isn't soldered very pretty. If it works fine, don't worry about it.

6. jlluna thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah i figure if i took it to apple, They would just say the computer is working fine ,and they would tell me not to worry about it. And yes i am using the charger that came with it. I just wanted to see if any one else has had any issues with this. Thanks!

7. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Could be the flux from the solder making it look burnt. Flux helps prevent oxidizing of the solder when its being applied.

8. jlluna thread starter macrumors 6502

Good point, That could be. I guess i won't worry about unless it gives me problems.

9. TheAnalogue macrumors member

TheAnalogue

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I work for a company called Jabil Circuit. Jabil has at times been one of the main manufacturing facilities for Apple (the other is Foxcon) I garentee you that your board didn't come from the factory like that. That board is a defect in class 2 & 3 circuitry. Most apple computers are class 2 but some high end models are class 3. I would contact apple immediately or better yet take it to an apple store if possible. Even if it is just Flux you paid for a level of quality that apple products represent and shouldn't tolerate this.

10. jlluna thread starter macrumors 6502

Interesting. I will stop by my local apple store on Tuesday and see what they say. Thanks!