Magsafe Port Broken

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by reese.reimers, Apr 10, 2009.

1. reese.reimers macrumors newbie

The plastic surrounding my Magsafe plug on my 17" Unibody is cracked. Half of the far right pin is exposed and I am wondering if this is going to cause any further problems. I have not dropped the unit and there is no other visible damage. Any suggestions? Do you think Apple will cover it. I got it CTO so I cannot simply return it and the machine is less than 2 weeks old.

Thanks

2. iBrody macrumors 6502

Sorry, I don't know the answer, but as this thread is magsafe related I was wondering about my own...

My magsafe has always acted strange in that the light does not always come on when inserted (the charge symbol appears on the display if I remember rightly). I sometimes have to unplug and reinsert for the green or red light to come on.

Does this mean my magsafe is faulty?

3. genmic macrumors regular

Did it come like that? I would call Applecare and have them send you out a new one immediately. Magsafe's don't have the best track record for reliability and I wouldn't risk it being exposed like that. Better to get it taking care of early rather than risk complications later on.

4. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i think the best thing for both of you is to get a new one. it should be covered by apple care if you have it. otherwise i think a new power block is like $80.

5. reese.reimers thread starter macrumors newbie

Update

Figured I would post an update just in case someone else happens to have the same issue. I called Applecare and they are sending me a replacement. I have a feeling they would typically do a repair if this wasn't (1) a brand new machine and (2) my second time returning one of these new MBPs. So even though I am going to be without a laptop for a few days, Apple has, yet again, restored my faith in their service.