MagSafe Power Adapter Broken

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacOCD, Feb 15, 2010.

1. MacOCD macrumors regular

My power adapter broke for my MacBook, the wires are fine,nothing is wrong there, but when I plug it into my laptop, the light does not turn on. At one the light was on for maybe 2-3 seconds and quickly turned back off. I have been trying to find a diagnosis by using google, but all I have found was problems with the wires, not the adapter itself.

I was wondering if any one had any quick solutions for this problem (if there is any) or if I just need to spend the 60$ to get a new one.

Thanks

2. Mac-Michael macrumors regular

Well first you have to figure out if the problem is with the adapter or the computer. Given that it's a magsafe adapter I don't think it's on the computer side. Can you borrow an adapter from a friend or go to an Apple store and use one of theirs?

3. MacOCD thread starter macrumors regular

I have plugged in my brothers, and it works, battery in and out, I have also done an SMC reset but didn't fix the problem.

4. peterja macrumors regular

peterja

The wires are probably broken at the joint, here's a repair video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20vLvXUfrIA

I tried this though and I couldn't get it to work, it might have worked if I had soldered the wires together to get better contact.

5. MacOCD thread starter macrumors regular

No, the wires are fine, they look perfect, they are tightly connected and don't wiggle.

6. Mac-Michael macrumors regular

I would say it's a hardware problem with the adapter. Get a new one. Yeah, it sucks.

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

If the computer is still under warranty, the power adapter is too. If it's not, but your brother's is... ;)

8. MacOCD thread starter macrumors regular

Its not, but I can't pretend its my brother because they changed the MagSafes size and look D:

9. peterja macrumors regular

peterja

oh, I didn't read your post properly :)

As for boring expenses, the 85W adapter I got recently cost me the equivalent of $120.