MagSafe power adapter LED is dim

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wickedking94, Aug 22, 2012.

1. wickedking94, Aug 22, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2012

wickedking94 macrumors 6502

I noticed today that the little indicator LED on my MagSafe cord is extremely dim. Its not visible in direct light and is only barely visible in complete darkness. I checked the connection both my MBP and the wall and it appears there both fine. My battery indicator is showing the little plug symbol and says its running off the power adapter so it appears functional.

Just concerned because I've read similar stories where the MagSafe cord suddenly stops working all together. Mines about 2 years old so is it more likely just normal wear and tear?

Also any way to fix it would be nice so I can glance at it and tell if its working or not. :)

EDIT:
    I tried cleaning the connector on the magsafe cord and the one on my MBP with a q-tip dipped in 99% alcohol and it appeared to work for a moment but then it went dim again. And now when it goes dim it stops charging my MBP :( Do I need a new MagSafe cord or could there be a problem with my MBP's logic board??
    I cant afford to replace my MBP right now :(

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If you can try it with a different MagSafe adapter before you buy anything, I'd suggest that.

I recently replaced the MagSafe plug on an older MacBook. It was fairly painless and the part for that computer was only around $30.

3. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

First thing you need to do: get outside and get some fresh air.
    Second thing you need to do: get some exercise.

Both of these will help you to feel much better.

Afterwards, read this: who gives a crap if your MagSafe LED is bright or dim? Does it or does it not charge your MacBook? If the answer is yes, then who gives a ****?

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You missed the part in his post where he states that it stops charging when it gets dim.

Why the snarky attitude? It was a legitimate question.

5. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Ooops. I missed that part. I apologize.

OP, do you know someone else with a MacBook? If so, you could try out their charger. If not, can you stop by a Genius Bar?

6. wickedking94 thread starter macrumors 6502

My physical exercise is none of your business but than you for being a jerk on a forum designed to help.

But anyway thanks to everyone else who replied with helpful answers.
    It appears to be working properly now so I'm assuming the contacts were dirty and when I plugged it back in after cleaning them there must have been some residual alcohol that was making it mess up still.

7. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

my 24" pre-thunderbolt apple display has a similar quirk. the orange charging light only works on one side but both green "fully-charged" lights work. it was a bit annoying but over the last 2 years I've gotten used to ignoring it. :)

8. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Same thing on my 2010 MBP. I tried with a different changer and i still had the same issue so I assume the charging port on the computer is wearing down. All I have to do is reattach the magsafe sometimes.

9. Potchmac macrumors newbie

Non Responsive Mac Book Pro and Dim MagSafe LED

Following an intercontinental flight my MacBook Pro became unresponsive and the power adaptor LED very dim. An SMC reset did not work and it did not matter how long I held the power button down for. The solution eventually was to remove the back, disconnect the battery (no need to take it out - see You Tube for details), reconnect battery, replace rear cover, connect power supply and my machine works perfectly! Be careful though if your machine is under any kind of warranty!

10. WADan macrumors newbie

Charging issue

I'm not sure what caused it, it wasn't just dim it was also green signifying it was charged. I flipped it over and it has returned to amber and charging, maybe give this a go.

11. pennbank macrumors member

I had same problem, it was a faulty magsafe Apple replaced it u/g

12. itsOver9000 macrumors 6502

itsOver9000

Usually just reconnecting the magsafe a time or two fixes the dim light on the MacBooks I've seen it happen to.

13. jsnuff1 macrumors 6502a

had the same issue...always had to fiddle with the power connector to even get it to charge, and just the other day the whole computer wouldn't boot or power up.

Ended up that the power supply on the motherboard fried out...id get this check ASAP if your still under warranty...mine was two years old and had to shell out 300 bucks to do the flat rate repair on it.

14. Mechinyun macrumors 6502

Mine did this, turns out either the port or the mag safe connector was dirty, try cleaning them.