MagSafe Power Adapter Plug in and Not Charge the Battery.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RobertsonCrusoe, Aug 12, 2011.

1. RobertsonCrusoe macrumors member

Simply, is it possible to plug in battery recharger and not charge the battery?

I was wondering if it is possible to plug the recharger in for my Macbook Pro 13' 2011 model and NOT charge. I want to do this because at the moment i am using it as a desktop and recharging it full then unplugging recharger then draining battery again is massively draining my battery cycle since i am recharging it full 2x a day. (since battery is not removable)

Please help, I have had this laptop for a month or so now and battery is draining fast.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No. Stop worrying about your battery and use your computer. Batteries can be replaced if necessary.

3. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

Your battery is designed to last 1000 cycles before losing significant capacity... at 2 cycles a day, that's less than 2 years...

You can leave it plugged in all the time, you know. There's no overcharging effect; the battery is more advanced than that old tech. That way you always get the best performance as per energy saver preferences and you won't accumulate as many cycles. Just make sure you unplug it and let the battery run down about once a week.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in when you can. Just don't run plugged in all the time, as your battery needs to be exercised to stay healthy. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

5. RobertsonCrusoe thread starter macrumors member

do you mean No it is not possible? :/ Yes they can but i would prefer it to last as long as possible.

I tested that on shop ones and the ones i tested (they are always on charging complete) definately had a high decrease in battery. After unplugging it in the shop and coming back 10 minutes later battery went from 8 hours approximately to under 4. I don't know if it's just that battery or what, but i tried on another couple shop ones and same thing happens, so i assume it is because it is staying on the recharger after it is fully recharged. yea i got my energy saver preferences set . yes i charge it full then plug it until it comes up as "15 minutes left" then plug it back in again each day.

yes i read that and do them things, but still would like to be able to plug charger in and not charge battery when i am not using it portably.

so your saying if i am not using it portably, leave it plugged in even if the charge completes....? that stuffs up battery, or from my experience of trying it, it does.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, once the battery is charged, the light on the MagSafe adapter turns green. That means it is no longer charging the battery. It will not harm the battery in any way to leave it plugged in.

7. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

thank you. much more succinct way of saying what I was trying to say.

8. RobertsonCrusoe thread starter macrumors member

okay thank you, one more question if it does wreck battery by leaving it plugged in is it covered on warranty? and that makes sense, i though it continued charging when the battery was full and therefore stuffing up the cycle and battery.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not going to "wreck your battery" by leaving it plugged in. It cannot and will not continue to charge the battery when it's fully charged.

10. RobertsonCrusoe thread starter macrumors member

okay thank you for help