Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asp30deuce

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
Dumb question, but how come the MBP MageSafe power adapter doesn't have a ground prong like all other laptop power adapters have? :confused:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Dumb question, but how come the MBP MageSafe power adapter doesn't have a ground prong like all other laptop power adapters have? :confused:
It does, on the extension cord that comes with it. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1630

cjyN.jpg

iPhone1

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2010
It does if you use the extension. Other than that, Apple must think the power output doesn't warrant an extra prong.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US

Lenovo's don't. Nor do some Compaq/HP.

I prefer this for travel adaptors since the two-wire cables pack smaller.

asp30deuce

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
Is it any less safe without the ground prong? I would think it should be there in the event of a power surge.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
Is it any less safe without the ground prong? I would think it should be there in the event of a power surge.

eh...just don't use the two prong during a thunderstorm (or your Mb, for that matter). The duckhead (2 prong adapter) wouldn't be as portable if they had to jimmy a ground plug onto it, though I would pick one up if available.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009

The ground plug doesn't really protect from surges as much as from faulty wiring resulting in a hot case and subsequent shock. A three prong plug connects a metal case to ground to avoid it become hazardous in the event of an internal short.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I find that if I use my power supply (UK) without the extension I get a "tingle" of electricity through the body of the MBP.

I know very little about UK wiring, but in the US that's a sign of a problem with the neutral side of the outlet. Smart (safe) thing to do is to have the wiring checked out by a qualified electrician.

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
Lenovo's don't. Nor do some Compaq/HP.

I prefer this for travel adaptors since the two-wire cables pack smaller.

We have a lot of Dell laptops at work and many of them did not come with a grounded power supply, but not all.

Fubar1977

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
North Yorkshire, UK
I know very little about UK wiring, but in the US that's a sign of a problem with the neutral side of the outlet. Smart (safe) thing to do is to have the wiring checked out by a qualified electrician.

It does not matter which outlet I use, even in a different building or with a different magsafe.
I`ve heard of this "issue" numerous times with the MBP.
It also occurs if the MBP is not plugged into the mains itself but is connected to, say, a mains powered USB hard drive. MRoogle it...:)

Reddmanz

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2010
I find that if I use my power supply (UK) without the extension I get a "tingle" of electricity through the body of the MBP.

I know just what you mean. If you stroke your fingers across the body its like a weird vibration?

I get this is some (not all) plug sockets in my house. Never noticed any negetive effects on my Mac so Im not worried. Plus it feels kinda cool :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.