MagSafe power adapter

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by asp30deuce, Dec 12, 2010.

1. asp30deuce macrumors newbie

Dumb question, but how come the MBP MageSafe power adapter doesn't have a ground prong like all other laptop power adapters have? :confused:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It does, on the extension cord that comes with it. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1630

[​IMG]

3. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

It does if you use the extension. Other than that, Apple must think the power output doesn't warrant an extra prong.

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

Lenovo's don't. Nor do some Compaq/HP.

I prefer this for travel adaptors since the two-wire cables pack smaller.

5. asp30deuce thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it any less safe without the ground prong? I would think it should be there in the event of a power surge.

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

eh...just don't use the two prong during a thunderstorm (or your Mb, for that matter). The duckhead (2 prong adapter) wouldn't be as portable if they had to jimmy a ground plug onto it, though I would pick one up if available.

7. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

The ground plug doesn't really protect from surges as much as from faulty wiring resulting in a hot case and subsequent shock. A three prong plug connects a metal case to ground to avoid it become hazardous in the event of an internal short.

8. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

I find that if I use my power supply (UK) without the extension I get a "tingle" of electricity through the body of the MBP.

9. deeddawg macrumors 604

I know very little about UK wiring, but in the US that's a sign of a problem with the neutral side of the outlet. Smart (safe) thing to do is to have the wiring checked out by a qualified electrician.

10. croooow macrumors 65816

croooow

We have a lot of Dell laptops at work and many of them did not come with a grounded power supply, but not all.

11. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

It does not matter which outlet I use, even in a different building or with a different magsafe.
    I`ve heard of this "issue" numerous times with the MBP.
    It also occurs if the MBP is not plugged into the mains itself but is connected to, say, a mains powered USB hard drive. MRoogle it...:)

12. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

That can't be good for the innards of the MBP...

13. Reddmanz macrumors regular

I know just what you mean. If you stroke your fingers across the body its like a weird vibration?

I get this is some (not all) plug sockets in my house. Never noticed any negetive effects on my Mac so Im not worried. Plus it feels kinda cool :p