Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

parker770

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
(Long post)-Cliff notes: Apple agrees to replace magsafe for free even on out of warranty machines, everyone is confused or has forgotten this program.

Recently my late 2008 15" MBP has developed the dreaded "not charging" issue with the magsafe adapter. Literally every person I know with a computer that uses the original magsafe design eventually has this problem. Last night, it finally got bad enough that the computer would not even power up.

I was certain that I was S.O.L. and would just have to suck it up and buy a new adapter. While doing research last night(on my iPhone, since the MBP was totally inoperable:mad:), I was pleased to discover that back in 2008, Apple finally admitted that it was a defective design, and had volunteered to replace faulty adapters, including machines which were no longer under warranty.

The document I am referring to is here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1713

Specifically, the wording they use is "Whether your product is in or out of warranty, you can take your adapter to an Apple Authorized Service Provider or Apple Retail Store for evaluation and replacement if necessary. Pending the results of evaluation, you may or may not be eligible for a replacement adapter free of charge. Signs of accidental damage would negate any coverage."

I interpret this to mean that so long as there is no evidence of abuse, a bad magsafe will be replaced for free, regardless of the age of the machine or the warranty status. I babied the adapter since I knew of the design flaw, I respected the hell out of the strain relief, even being OCD about never wrapping the cord up.

This interpretation is shared here, here, and here.

Now what confuses me is that it seems that people have forgotten all about this program, and simply accept the fact that if their Macbook isn't under warranty, they would not be eligible for a free replacement. In thread after thread here and elsewhere people suggest purchasing a new one.

I went to the Apple store today, where they tried selling me one for $100+. I mentioned the memo, the Genius went to the manager. When he returned he said "well that item is covered under the warranty, since yours is expired, you have to pay for it." I then showed Genius the Apple document with the verbiage explained above, so he went back to the manager. Eventually, after lots of back and forth, they agreed to replace it for free after I showed the manager the memo.

I'm not complaining, as I was taken care of in the end, but what about this whole thing is so confusing to people?

It's also unfortunate that other people who have the same problem(99% of MBP owners eventually)

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Apex, NC
Cliff's notes: There is not a "program" going on for failing magsafe adapters.

You're the one who's confused, as your interpretation is incorrect. They aren't replacing all magsafe cords that have failed--they're replacing the ones that are unsafe for the user. The actual document you sited is discussing sparking wires, and the links to other sites have pictures of exposed wires. If yours just stopped working and isn't sparking, then it's not going to be covered. They didn't cover it because you convinced them it should be covered; they covered it because you thought it should be covered and were starting to make a scene.

parker770

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
Cliff's notes: There is not a "program" going on for failing magsafe adapters.

You're the one who's confused, as your interpretation is incorrect. They aren't replacing all magsafe cords that have failed--they're replacing the ones that are unsafe for the user. The actual document you sited is discussing sparking wires, and the links to other sites have pictures of exposed wires. If yours just stopped working and isn't sparking, then it's not going to be covered. They didn't cover it because you convinced them it should be covered; they covered it because you thought it should be covered and were starting to make a scene.

Fair enough. My post was a bit long winded, and my tone may have been misconstrued. My apologies for misusing the term program, it was late and I have been going on very little sleep this week.

I can assure you that I was not "starting to make a scene". I simply told the guy what I thought the intent of the memo was. I wasn't running around the store with my hair on fire, I simply didn't accept their first two explanations. The whole process was less than 5 minutes.

Apple has continually impressed the hell out of me with the lengths they have gone to ensure customer satisfaction. They have definitely earned my loyalty as a customer.

To those of you who encounter magsafe issues out of warranty, I would encourage you to go in and speak with the people at the Apple Store, as it is at least worth a shot at getting a replacement.

The updated design of the newer generation L shaped magsafe is light years better than the previous one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.