Magsafe Safe to use or...?

Peter Franks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
I’ve a MagSafe that’s now frayed which is for a MBP 2011. Is it a death trap, or can it be used safely, Can I use the black electrical tape to patch up, or do I have to buy a new one, Apple made, or do they sell that half of it, or.... any suggestion grateful.

Longkeg

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2014
S. Florida
As long as the insulation on the internal wires is intact I would give your electric tape fix a try. Wrap it tightly so the cable can’t bend easily. It won’t be pretty but as long as you can avoid any internal shorts it could continue to work for a long time.... unless it doesn’t. At any rate the last time I looked these things were readily available on Amazon for not a lot of money.

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
You might put some tape on it for now...
But I wouldn't trust it much longer.

And DO NOT go out of the house with that plugged in. You might return to find a fire.

I'd buy a replacement as soon as possible.
But don't buy "just any" replacement -- there are many knockoffs and counterfeits that are as dangerous "out of the box" as that original one is with a frayed cable.
Get a good one.

Reactions: Peter Franks

Peter Franks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Thank you people for your help, good advice, much appreciated, I did wonder, and was even a bit worried being downstairs with it plugged in upstairs, just in case. The Apple one looks to be about £40 GB. I suppose it doesn't owe me anything after 7 years and I should try to find the original one as opposed to Amazon knock offs. Presume Apple stores still sell these, I think it's the 60W. But not 100% sure yet.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Question, The magsafe 60W power adapter is £79 from Apple, but they're half that from other sellers, and are genuine Apple parts. What's that about?

EDIT: Ignore this, it's only one end of the charger, not the whole lead and plug! and not in the official packaging, which is no big deal.

Last edited:

Audit13

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I recommend wrapping the exposed wire with electrical tape. Place shrink tube over the taped area, and heat the shrink tube. It is a long-lasting fix. I've done it to mine and in other areas where the cord's rubber sleeve has split.

Reactions: kohlson

Peter Franks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
I recommend wrapping the exposed wire with electrical tape. Place shrink tube over the taped area, and heat the shrink tube. It is a long-lasting fix. I've done it to mine and in other areas where the cord's rubber sleeve has split.
I don’t know anything about shrink tube. But wish I’d have seen this post prior and looked it up, and not spent £80GB in Apple!!!!