MagSafe split - walk into apple store without appointment

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nishi100, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

The end of my MagSafe cable has split, exposing wire, and I'd like to get this replaced as soon as possible. It is still in warranty and my 'local' apple store has no genius appointments until Thursday.

Tomorrow, if I just walk into the store (without an appointment), can I quickly get it replaced if I just take the MagSafe and my serial number (for MBRr)? Or will they make me book an appointment for later in the day, or even Thursday?

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

I would walk in - if they ask you to schedule an appointment just be firm and ask to speak with a manager about the situation. Let them know you attempted to setup an appointment but was not available until Thursday and if you use the charger there is a chance of serious injury.

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

That's 100% the call of the people that you end up talking to tomorrow.

At the store I worked at, only the Genius staff could make the call as to whether or not the split was caused by a manufacturing defect and covered by the warranty.

If you walked in without an appointment, they'd book you an appointment in the Standby Queue, which isn't usually fast. You basically sit tight under the hope that a scheduled appointment doesn't show up.

I don't know if all stores are that way.

The Standby Queue was setup for people who walk in and don't have an appointment. I've seen very mixed results when people "ask to speak to a manager" in an attempt to bypass having to wait in that queue.

4. Millionaire2K macrumors 6502a

I've never made an appointment for anything, I always just walk in and they always help.

5. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

Only specific models of the magsafe 1 are prone to splitting along the cable. That's what I was told by apple the time I tried to exchange mine. They said it was my fault and that I likely rolled over it with my chair.

6. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Got mine replaced after AppleCare ran out even with no visible problems (the light and my battery indicator on the menu bar were showing bad connection). I had an appointment though for some other issues, and the genius I worked with was awesome! Within the same store I've had very different experiences. They're terrible with iPhone stuff, for example.

7. Yell0w macrumors regular

Mine has the same problems as yours, the light would sometimes go away and i would need to unplug it and plug it in order to get it to start charging... :(

EDIT: I should mention that my charger is from early 2008.

8. Spacial macrumors 6502

It's no different than any other retail store, it all depends on how busy they are. I've always found Apple to be very accommodating.

9. Yell0w macrumors regular

Mainly the staff. A few years ago, I was 10 minutes late to my appointment because of the trains and it was the day before Christmas. The Genius mentioned this to the manager and let it slide or else I would have to make a whole new appointment.

10. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Mine was mid-2009. They officially say the recall is only for the 15" model in 2009 (there's a list on their website) but I think it's just the original MagSafe design in general. Some just show it worse than others.

11. Yell0w macrumors regular

Oh that's too bad. Mine hasn't started to fray like the pictures I saw online because I was careful not to twist it too much. I guess I just need to head over there and see if they would exchange it for me.

12. ramram55 macrumors 6502

You were lucky, I was also 10 mins, because of traffic, they want me to set up another appointment to come back after an hour.
    On another occasion, I was on time, had to wait for 30 mins.
    Better get the genius bar appointment, rather safe than sorry.

13. Nishi100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just walked in, explained to them what happened, then was passed onto a genius. He was quite busy, but I was seen after 15 minutes and just told him my email, serial number, signed the iPad and left with a new magsafe. :) Good job Apple.

They'll only replace it if the split / cut / exposed wire is the only damage. For example, if the rest of my cable was is bad condition then they wouldn't replace it. Which is pretty fair, I think.

14. Yell0w macrumors regular

Damn which means my cable that just have a connection problem and the light going out after a certain time won't be replaced yet.

15. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Not necessarily. Mine was having the same issue as yours and they replaced it.

16. mrgeek macrumors member

My warenty for my macbook pro expire few months ago. Few days ago my magsafe 2 wire split. I took it to an apple store and replace it for free.

17. Yell0w macrumors regular

Okay then. Seems like I just have to try my luck.

18. StuLax18 macrumors 6502

I had my power cord for my last laptop replaced before I got the rMBP, and now tonight I notice the rMBP cord is fraying. Have they still not fixed this issue?

19. Yell0w macrumors regular

Today I had to go to the apple store because my magsafe charger is no longer charging any laptops. The light just stays green, Genius told me that a replacement for the 85w charger would cost me $61 + tax. Letting you guys know this is what happened to me even though my laptop is way out of warranty, early 2008 MBP. Even he said that it was a vintage model.. :eek:

20. ano0oj macrumors 6502

Like a bauce

21. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

Recently I've noticed they have not taken kindly to this kind of behavior whether or not the problem is "immediate" or not. Previously they wouldn't have cared but with the increasing amount of people using the Genius Bar, they will most likely put you in a queue which is worse or write you off and ask you to make an appointment like everyone else (it's there for a reason). At the Apple Stores I've been to in the last 2 years, they have been giving less help for those that haven't made an appointment and the converse for those that have made an appointment. I recommend you making an appointment or you might have an employee write off your damaged wire as the fault of you rather than a hardware defect.

22. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

Just after Christmas and before the New Year I walked into my local Apple store and was seen within 15 minutes.
    It is a busy store in a very busy shopping centre (Trafford Centre, Manchester).
    They seem to go out of their way to accommodate you.

Barney