Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 14, 2020
The regular MagSafe + 20w brick heats up my phone and throttles charging.

The MagSafe duo that charges at 11w with the 20w brick keeps the phone much cooler and I feel may very well be faster.

these findings are supported by ampere 3 app : 3.5w for MagSafe 6.3 for duo 25w when plugged into 20w adapter (for what it’s worth, don’t know how that’s possible) phone 2% and I ran all tests two times on the app.
Does anyone actually get 15w charging from MagSafe. Samsung did it best with the small fan in their chargers.

Reactions: firoze and yaboid01

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 14, 2020
I mean it still does charge faster than a standard wireless charger but it throttles a lot when the screen is on or while using.
Haha yes I have both the MagSafe and Duo. not sold on the speed, sold on the convenience.

Reactions: YaBoiD

makeitrainnaren

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2020
Haha yes I have both the MagSafe and Duo. not sold on the speed, sold on the convenience.
True. I did scoop a 2 m usb c extension cable so I can use it wherever and it's like I want to keep using it even though wired is cooler and faster. it is convenient to be able to use the phone vertically without a cord kinking underneath between the phone and the "ground"

Reactions: Htsi

firoze

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
The regular MagSafe + 20w brick heats up my phone and throttles charging.

The MagSafe duo that charges at 11w with the 20w brick keeps the phone much cooler and I feel may very well be faster.

these findings are supported by ampere 3 app : 3.5w for MagSafe 6.3 for duo 25w when plugged into 20w adapter (for what it’s worth, don’t know how that’s possible) phone 2% and I ran all tests two times on the app.
Does anyone actually get 15w charging from MagSafe. Samsung did it best with the small fan in their chargers.
Which iPhone 12 model are you using?

I have a 12 Mini and I have a Samsung 7.5 watt Stand-up/folding wireless charger (the one with the built-in fan). Unfortunately the 12 mini does not charge properly in it unless I position it precisely in the center of the charger.

I am therefore considering a MagSafe charger for the 12 mini (I do not want the Duo because of the high cost). But I am concerned about excessive heat. Is anyone here using a 12 mini with the MagSafe charger & 20w adaptor? How hot does it actually get?

Reactions: Saludos

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 14, 2020
Which iPhone 12 model are you using?

I have a 12 Mini and I have a Samsung 7.5 watt Stand-up/folding wireless charger (the one with the built-in fan). Unfortunately the 12 mini does not charge properly in it unless I position it precisely in the center of the charger.

I am therefore considering a MagSafe charger for the 12 mini (I do not want the Duo because of the high cost). But I am concerned about excessive heat. Is anyone here using a 12 mini with the MagSafe charger & 20w adaptor? How hot does it actually get?
12 pro, non MagSafe chargers are a hit or miss. My mophie 3in1 which is still sold on apple.com doesnt work with my phone

Reactions: firoze

firoze

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
12 pro, non MagSafe chargers are a hit or miss. My mophie 3in1 which is still sold on apple.com doesnt work with my phone
Thanks. Does the 12 Pro actually get very hot, or just uncomfortably warm when charging with the MagSafe?

Robbosan

Suspended
Aug 21, 2020
Get's very hot, and leaves rings on cases not just apples, sold my magsafe charger and 20w brick, back to my old samsung leather wireless charger, that kept my battery on my 11 pro at 100% after 13 months. Also works as a stand.
Magsafe is trash.

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 14, 2020
Thanks. Does the 12 Pro actually get very hot, or just uncomfortably warm when charging with the MagSafe?
Gets hot if you’re using it. Quite hot. Otherwise it’s fine. Overall better than last year C 7.5w

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Interest you guys experience throttling. I have an Apple branded ,agsafeand a generic one and both pull the same amount of watts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.