Magsafe tip - liquid damage

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by c1phr, Aug 11, 2014.

1. c1phr macrumors 6502

So I was asked today what to do about a magsafe tip (the computer end) that was very quickly dropped into a bit of coffee. It was immediately unplugged from the wall and not plugged back into the machine.

For any sort of liquid damage to the magsafe, what's the chance of recovery after drying here? What's the chance that it causes damage to the machine when it gets plugged back in (after drying)?

2. duervo macrumors 68020

duervo

Soak the end in half a cup of isopropyl alcohol for several minutes (i.e.: keep it in there and go have a coffee or something.) When you get back, swish it around a bit and then take it out and let it air dry on a towel for a an hour or two (i.e.: watch a movie on Netflix or something.)

3. c1phr thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm, I like this suggestion (it's not my device, so I'll pass it on). What are the chances of damaging the computer if there was damage to the adapter, even after being cleaned out and dried?

4. duervo macrumors 68020

duervo

Minimal risk as to almost be considered non-existent (which is good enough for me.)

The process itself works quite well. I've had to do it with the electronic key fob for my car, after losing it in the snow last winter. Found it in the spring time, sticking out of a patch of ice. Chipped it out, took it apart, and soaked it in alcohol for half an hour, and then swished it around a bit and let it air dry. It worked fine after that, and still does even today (even I was pleasantly surprised, since that thing had spent the better part of the winter in the snow.)

5. Sheza macrumors 68000

Sheza

Would recommend longer drying and maybe a bag of rice.

6. x3n0n1c macrumors regular

For the alcohol, use the 99% stuff. It is more expensive but is better at eating away at corrosion and dries faster too. As for the rice, make sure it is instant minute rice as that stuff is much more absorbent than plain uncooked rice.

Good luck.