MagSafe to MagSafe2 adapter

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jezzeps, Aug 17, 2012.

1. jezzeps macrumors newbie

Hello all

I wonder if anyone can help me.

I have a 12V to 18.5V 4.6A car adapter for my 17" MBP, works very well.
    This morning I excitedly opened my new 15" Retina MBP only to discover that not only does it have a new shape magsafe but also the power of the machine has increased to 20V 4.25A.

On Amazon you can get a magsafe to magsafe2 adapter but it is the size of a thumbnail and looks as if its just a size change not a DC converter.

Does anyone know if I use this am I in danger of blowing up my new rMBP?

Thanks in advance

Joe

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Seeing your computer uses more power than the power supply on your car can provide, I think it's more likely you'll either blow the power supply or the electrical system on your car.

That said, as you have noted, the Magsafe to Magsafe 2 adapter is simply an adapter that lets the older plug fit into the newer computers (it's a pass-through connector)

3. terraphantm macrumors 68040

...What? Most cars' alternators can provide 120-150A, and the cigarette lighters are usually rated for 10A or so. They can easily power an 85W macbook.

Anyway, the magsafe to magsafe2 adapter is just a pass through. There's no circuitry. But that's okay- the rMBP can handle the old standard just fine. Otherwise Apple wouldn't sell the adapter...

4. jezzeps thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies

I have since spoken to apple who confirmed it would be ok, and tested it for myself and it seems to be working fine AND charging the battery unlike the apple airline adapter.

Happy Days