MagSafe to Usb-c adapter

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dennis.bradford, Oct 31, 2016.

1. dennis.bradford macrumors newbie

Does there exist a MagSafe to USB-C power adapter?

I'd like to use my Thunderbolt Display with the new MBP's and I'm planning on the Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter. I'd like to use the power output from the display.

2. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

Yes there is. I doubt it's for ThunderBolt. Just power.

Apple should do this.

I don't like how the old MagSafe is hardwired to the brick.

[​IMG]

3. cmaier macrumors G3

That is not magsafe. It's a magsafe-like connector. Not useful for the original poster since he's trying to connect a real magsafe connector to a usb-c port.

4. Geoffresh macrumors newbie

I'm looking for this as well because I don't want to connect to another power outlet and I want to use the Magsafe power. So far I only found this. http://www.snapnator.com and I'm not sure if that will do the job.

5. Scary Spice macrumors regular

Scary Spice

I wouldn't hold out too much hope finding this adapter.

I am simply ebaying my multiple magsafe chargers, they go for top dollar as these turds don't have a long life out in the wild.

As for the TB display, I liquidated mine 2 years ago as its specs are 2008, baby! I would recommend doing this ASAP as these things are plummeting in resale value.

6. Geoffresh macrumors newbie

Where / how did you sell yours at for best price?

7. Scary Spice macrumors regular

Scary Spice

eBay

eBay

Maybe not for the tip top price, but remember, the first loss is the best loss.

8. phloo macrumors regular

phloo

Nice find. We will see in January. I am sure more manufactors will produce stuff like that.
    Now that there is no pro line including magsafe any more. 3-4 months I guess.

9. jjlannoo Suspended

That looks cool but is too thick in my opinion. I wonder what keeps them from making it slimmer against the body

10. phloo macrumors regular

phloo

Probably the problem to get out the end sticking inside the usb-c port.
    If you travel you dont want to have it there permanently (may scratch or break other things/the port itself)

11. dennis.bradford thread starter macrumors newbie

12. darbronnoco macrumors newbie

That one is garbage and does not work with the Thunderbolt Display. I'm looking for a dongle like this but you know one that actually works. I still really like my thunderbolt display and it works great with my 2016 mbp I just want the charging now too.

13. Geoffresh macrumors newbie

I agree. I would love to have an adapter from MagSafe to USB - C. Right now I am using the thunderbolt to USB-C connection and I have my USB-C charger in a separate power port.

14. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

I don't think it can exist. It's not just about changing the connector, the whole cable and root power source would need to be using USB-C tech from what I would imagine.

Thinking about it, you could always take the display apart and stick a USB-C charger in the unit, drawing power from the internal source. Then route a USB-C cable out, or cut a connector into the back. If you know what you're doing it shouldn't be that difficult. If you don't have a clue though please don't!