Magsafe to USB-C

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by vixster1901, Nov 12, 2016.

1. vixster1901 macrumors regular

vixster1901

Has anyone found a adapter "magsafe to usb-c" so I can continue to use magsafe on the new MBP if I decided to get one. I would like to know if anyone has one that IS working!
    Thanks, Vixster

2. LostLib, Nov 12, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2016

LostLib macrumors newbie

Hate to "me too" here, but just doing the same set of searches. There are a couple of cables - but in the $35 range, why would I do that? I have six locations where I have workstations and monitors.

Apple didn't do a good job on this rollout - for all the time they had. I have four thunderbolt monitors in three locations... did they just expect that I was going to add $5K to replace the monitors and another $500 in connectors to the $5K bill for the new MBP? or buy another six power bricks for $500?

And they left out the memory upgrade. For anyone doing MPP development requiring more than two or three VMs or docker images - this machine doesn't help them. "power saving" was the reason given - why that trade off of battery life over memory isn't a customer choice - well. enough said.

My current MBP is 4+ years old, so I don't have much choice.

Oops. </rant>

3. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

The Griffin BreakSafe appears to be well-received, but it is limited to 60-watts which is fine for the 13" model, but will result in slower charging of the 15" (which uses an 87-watt adapter).

4. hussainh1 macrumors regular

I just received my Griffin BreakSafe, but haven't received the shipping notification for my new MBP to go along with it yet. I'll post how it is when I do tho.

5. chiricuto macrumors newbie

Can you please comment further on "There are a couple of cables" Thank you!

6. CliftonHighgrov macrumors regular

CliftonHighgrov

I'm genuinely confused: the Apple TB3 to TB2 adapters appear to be right up your alley, and assuming you only need to connect two TB2 displays max. at any given time, aren't you looking at whatever £58 is in your currency? Doesn't seem a big deal - on the face of it, at least.

7. LostLib macrumors newbie

Well - here it is: The TB3 to TB2 connector does NOT support mini-display port monitors. Your ThunderBolt monitors - four in my case - are useless.
    https://9to5mac.com/2016/11/17/apple-macbook-pro-thunderbolt-3-adapter-displayport/

I'm sure someone will figure out an adapter - Belkin has one scheduled for February. But at the moment - I now own a $5000 MacBook Pro Brick.

I will assert again - Apple did not think this through. They had plenty of time to get this right, no matter the "future vision" they want to lead us too.