Magsafe -> USB-C adapter

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by simultech2, Nov 4, 2016.

1. simultech2 macrumors newbie

simultech2

Hi there,

I am wondering if anyone has seen a legitimate Magsafe to USB-C adapter available or in the works? I don't care too much about the actual magsafe functionality, rather I have over 1000$ worth of magsafe chargers littered around home/work and I am keen not to have to replace every single one.

I'm thinking I'll make my own if its not possible otherwise, ala:

2. cmaier macrumors G3

No reports of one that is compatible with existing MagSafe connectors. Might not be possible due to patents.

3. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

That's a lot of chargers?

4. james948 macrumors 6502

5. vixster1901 macrumors regular

vixster1901

Yes, I am interested as well. I see a few on line, but would like to know if any one here in "macrumors" has tried one. I saw some in amazon and folks said it did NOT work.

6. DestinyCalls macrumors member

DestinyCalls

an adapter would be okay for me i saw that Griffin adapter but the usb c cable is only capable to supply 60 W and thats not enough for the new 15 "
    hopfully there are some other possibilities in the futur, i have no old chargers i´m more interested in the function

7. Garage Battle macrumors member

someone will figure it out - be patient.

btw - Im really, really, REALLY surprised someone hasnt come forward to offer a Macbook modification service to put the pieces back in that apple left out - magsafe, SD slot, etc.

8. CarbonCycles macrumors newbie

Do you know how expensive that would be (unless you're talking about a bastardized hub. if so, no thanks...too much of a compromise. Better off getting a totally different laptop all together)

9. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Apple made sure it wasn't possible to have a MagSafe to USB-C adapter. Why? So when your MacBook Pro falls and breaks you have to pay for the repair or purchase a new one.