Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Allograft

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 19, 2014
any chance of a MagSafe like USB C on the '16 MB? I was in the Apple Store the other day and played with one. That is the only thing I'd want changed...but definatly a deal breaker for me ... Too many kids around

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
any chance of a MagSafe like USB C on the '16 MB? I was in the Apple Store the other day and played with one. That is the only thing I'd want changed...but definatly a deal breaker for me ... Too many kids around
Probably not. Words on the street is that Apple did have MagSafe USB-C connector at one point. But because MB is so light, it fell to the ground frequently when testers tripped over the cable.

Dayv

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2009
No, the whole point about USB-C is the standard connector. But you can buy this.
Assuming it ever comes to market. Kickstarter is not a store, many products are delayed, never ship, or need to be heavily redesigned before release. And there's a possibility this will run afoul of Apple's MagSafe patent.

Dayv

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2009
I've had my dog trip over the USB-C power cable a couple times. The Macbook moved but didn't fall, and then the cable detached. Not as clean as MagSafe, but it's not a super-tight connector.

New2MacOS

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2008

I have this one: http://www.cablecc.com/magsafe-fema...er-cable-for-apple-new-macbook-12-p-3195.html

I have used this only once thus far -- to test whether or not this thing works. I still have a 60W charger lying around, so I used that to test this magsafe-to-USB-C adapter, and it charged my rMB from 67% to 69% in 10 minutes. I don't have any clue on the long-term performance of this adapter.

Queen6

macrumors G4
I have this one: http://www.cablecc.com/magsafe-fema...er-cable-for-apple-new-macbook-12-p-3195.html

I have used this only once thus far -- to test whether or not this thing works. I still have a 60W charger lying around, so I used that to test this magsafe-to-USB-C adapter, and it charged my rMB from 67% to 69% in 10 minutes. I don't have any clue on the long-term performance of this adapter.

That might not be such a good idea given the small print states "Your magsafe power adapter must be 14.5V 45W (cannot 16.5v/18.5v)" my 60W Charger is rated at 16.5V...

Q-6

New2MacOS

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2008
That might not be such a good idea given the small print states "Your magsafe power adapter must be 14.5V 45W (cannot 16.5v/18.5v)" my 60W Charger is rated at 16.5V...

Q-6

Thanks for the heads up. Like I said, I ordered the adapter, plugged it in for a 10-minute test and the only charger I had around was the 60W one. I have not used the adapter since, and I am glad to know the correct specs (the print is too small for my 60 year old eyes). Thank you!

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada

Q-6

not true , magsafe can operate at several voltages , it will auto sense voltages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MagSafe

note they list them as maximum voltages , assuming ~10% tolerance you will be fine.

Reactions: Queen6

New2MacOS

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2008
not true , magsafe can operate at several voltages , it will auto sense voltages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MagSafe

note they list them as maximum voltages , assuming ~10% tolerance you will be fine.

Thanks for the clarification. That's what my office mate also said before I plugged the MagSafe-to-USB-C adapter to the rMB. Nonetheless, I found a 45w wall charger, so I will be using that instead. Many thanks to all.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
I like the magsafe on my MBP but don't miss it. Now, having said that, I should probably be careful.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Probably not. Words on the street is that Apple did have MagSafe USB-C connector at one point. But because MB is so light, it fell to the ground frequently when testers tripped over the cable.

I'm having a little trouble with that one. First the mag-safe connector is not that secure. I tried this with the 11" MBA at the Apple Store and the MBA didn't move when it was yanked out. And it only weighs .35 lb more than the rMB.

Second, I can't imagine any scenario where a computer maker would create a magnetic connector which data has to pass through, that can be easily disconnected accidently. I would hate for that to happen during a backup for instance.

Had Apple included two USB-C ports then perhaps one could have been equipped with a Mag-safe connector for use only with a custom charger. Of course that defeats the whole point of the simplicity of one port, or even two which behave in the same manner.

So no, I don't believe Apple ever intended to put a mag-safe connector on the rMB.

Reactions: Queen6
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.