Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ant69

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2009
Bump. This is what I’m looking for too. There’s got to be a cheaper alternative to the Belkin stand (which isn’t available anyway)

Antomir

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2020
I dont need a charger cause I use CarPlay and its not wireless. Just need a vent holder like my scosche that will hold the phone with the magsafe case on desperately .
So I'm waiting for the Belkin one, but I'm 99% sure I'm gonna have to return it because man is the Pro Max a heavy boy. But anyways, I digress. I saw numerous people on YouTube where they had success with ordinary magnetic vent mounts. Round ones specifically. The magnets were strong enough to work with the ones in the phone and MagSafe cases. Not sure how it holds up over a speed bump though, so keep that in mind.

ant69

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2009
So I'm waiting for the Belkin one, but I'm 99% sure I'm gonna have to return it because man is the Pro Max a heavy boy. But anyways, I digress. I saw numerous people on YouTube where they had success with ordinary magnetic vent mounts. Round ones specifically. The magnets were strong enough to work with the ones in the phone and MagSafe cases. Not sure how it holds up over a speed bump though, so keep that in mind.
I used the below on my old phones with a metal plate stuck to a cheap iPhone case. But its not strong enough to hold my 12 pro max. I’m hoping the Belkin has stronger magnets.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
I used the below on my old phones with a metal plate stuck to a cheap iPhone case. But its not strong enough to hold my 12 pro max. I’m hoping the Belkin has stronger magnets.

Yea I use the Spigen one. But now that I don’t use the magnet spigen supplies the Apple mag safe doesn’t hold on tight enough.

sadish

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2020
This works perfectly on iPhone 12's with or without any case on them. you do not need to have any metal plate with the phone case.

Reactions: Jordan921

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
This works perfectly on iPhone 12's with or without any case on them. you do not need to have any metal plate with the phone case.
Thank you. Gonna give this a try

Jimpilot

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
No
Wow reviews on the site not very good Specifically magnets are questionable they say

ant69

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2009
hmmm the reviews on the site aren't too promising....

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008

Just to clarify... I don't think the issue here is the "strength" of the Magsafe magnets, rather the positioning of them. The Magsafe ring of magnets is quite large, so these small old-school mounting magnets can only grab onto one tiny "section" of the Magsafe magnets... thus not providing a good hold.

FYI. Other than the Belkin one apple sells, there are clones on AliExpress. I've not tried them myself, but I can't imagine they can be too bad if they follow the correct magnet geometry. Many of the aliExpress ones have a 7.5 QI capability, but If you don't need it... you could just not plug it in.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I ordered the Belkin and it arrived at work (which I am not at) today. I’m not sure it will hold the 12 PM. Especially in my car with any bumpy roads. It’s a tight suspension.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I have one on preorder from Apple but not optimistic considering the description on Belkin’s website says it’ll support the iPhone 12 or 12 Pro.

Waterman316

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2018
I have one on preorder from Apple but not optimistic considering the description on Belkin’s website says it’ll support the iPhone 12 or 12 Pro.
They do mention it’s for the 12pm as well
6156291F-7000-48E7-85A3-6859448185EE.png

ant69

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2009
I’ve had my belkin MagSafe holder a few days now. While it doesn’t feel as strong as say the apple MagSafe charger.... it hadn’t fallen off or moved.... though I have been restraining myself from high G turns and hand brake turns lol. But the LA roads are pretty poor/bumpy.

Waterman316

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2018
I’ve had my belkin MagSafe holder a few days now. While it doesn’t feel as strong as say the apple MagSafe charger.... it hadn’t fallen off or moved.... though I have been restraining myself from high G turns and hand brake turns lol. But the LA roads are pretty poor/bumpy.
I got mine today. I drive a 3/4 ton pick up so my ride isn’t quite as smooth as most cars...not complaining about that. It’s nice considering what the truck is. Not sure if I should trust the mount with the 12 pro Max honestly. It feels like a stronger connection between the  silicone case and the mount then it does the naked iPhone. Going naked with my phone for the most part though. Not quite sure what to think just yet. Have you hit any big bumps that make you swear out loud with it yet? Not sure about la roads but Michigan roads are absolutely horrible. Especially in/around the city I’m in.

Cruncher

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2010
I received mine today and tried it on a few very bumpy roads. It holds very well. I am using the iPhone 12 Pro 6.1"

I am very happy with it.

Jimpilot

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
No
Knock offs starting to appear. This one includes charger. I’m sure no more than 7.5 W but still.

I’m considering it, thoughts?

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
So I received my Belkin MagSafe Vent Mount.

I was dubious putting a 12 Pro Max with its size and weight on the mount. I put it on my Air Vent and my car has a very tight suspension and I drive it very hard. No amount of road bumpiness or shake was shaking the phone loose from the mount and the mount is on the vent good. I took corners at fast as I could and drove over 100mph and I will use this thing everyday without worry.

Reactions: ant69

Coolio1234

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2017
So I received my Belkin MagSafe Vent Mount.

I was dubious putting a 12 Pro Max with its size and weight on the mount. I put it on my Air Vent and my car has a very tight suspension and I drive it very hard. No amount of road bumpiness or shake was shaking the phone loose from the mount and the mount is on the vent good. I took corners at fast as I could and drove over 100mph and I will use this thing everyday without worry.
Case or no case?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.