Magsafe warranty question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by designgeek, Dec 25, 2009.

1. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

So my replacement magsafe adapter is acting up, it seems these last about six months... My MBP is just fresh out of warranty but I recall reading something about "Even if your notebook is out of warranty" somewhere on the apple site. I can't imagine this is the case, but is it? Can I get a new magsafe?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. lightningsteven macrumors newbie

Not strictly true, I think it depends on the circumstances as Apple have admitted a design flaw.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1713

My one is playing up as well, I think I am going to take it to my local Apple store.

4. pcb macrumors member

pcb

I just got mine replaced for free. My MBP is four years old and I never had applecare and they replaced the brick end for free.

They checked for obvious physical damage to the cable where it comes out of the brick and the actual plug end.

After that they ran a battery diagnostic test, which also checks the power adapter at the same time.

The test confirmed that the power cable was bad.

They more than happily replaced my old brick with a "new" smaller one for free with out having to fight for it or even ask for it. The genius simply said ill grab you a new power cord and sent me on my way.

5. dankybear macrumors regular

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's hit or miss. I've had adapters replaced well out of warranty.

7. designgeek thread starter macrumors 65816

designgeek

Thanks for the help, my only problem is that I don't live anywhere near an Apple Store. I guess I could give them a call and argue for a hardware exemption again.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Give them a call, I'd not worry about arguing, they typically are pretty good about these types of things and arguing can possibly have the opposite affect.

Be polite but firm and bump it up the food chain if need be.

9. erifneerg macrumors member

I just when threw my second magsafe. That one was given to me at an apple store was a 60w and not a 85w. I didn't realize that till just now because that magsafe was acting flaky.
    I had to wiggle it get it work. Then one night it just fell off. When to the apple store today and they wouldn't replace it. Had to drop off my macbook pro anyway so i didn't bother getting one just yet. Hopefully when i pick it up someone else will be kind enough to replace it.