Magsafe works sometimes

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cpuguy18, Jul 12, 2012.

1. cpuguy18 macrumors regular

Feb 23, 2011
    My magsafe charger only charges sometimes (particularly when the battery is low). Most of the time it wont even light up and the cord is frayed. Is this a problem with the battery or the charger IDK.
  2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

May 16, 2008
    It sounds like a problem with the charger, since the cord is frayed. Have you tried another charger, to see if it works?
  3. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

Feb 16, 2012
    almost certainly the charger, I think the 'only charging when low' might be a coinsidence.
  4. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

Jul 25, 2011
    I had a ~5 month old laptop when I started to notice this same problem. A week later it wouldn't charge whatsoever. It was under warranty and they replaced it for me. Surprising it failed in 5 months because I'm very delicate with my laptop and all its accessories, but sounds like some are just lemons.
  5. cpuguy18 thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 23, 2011
    Dont have another charger anyways my local computer store has them for $60 i will get one tomorrow.
  6. AlexBass macrumors regular

Jul 9, 2012
    My charger doesn't always show the light when charging, though it is fine. Then I have another charger which is a US charger, I use an adapter with that when I need to but it doesn't always charge. Then I change the fuse and it works fine... for another 2 days.

Anyway, my point is, try replacing the fuse in the charger and see if that helps.