Magsafe works sometimes

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cpuguy18, Jul 12, 2012.

1. cpuguy18 macrumors regular

cpuguy18

My magsafe charger only charges sometimes (particularly when the battery is low). Most of the time it wont even light up and the cord is frayed. Is this a problem with the battery or the charger IDK.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It sounds like a problem with the charger, since the cord is frayed. Have you tried another charger, to see if it works?

3. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

almost certainly the charger, I think the 'only charging when low' might be a coinsidence.

4. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

I had a ~5 month old laptop when I started to notice this same problem. A week later it wouldn't charge whatsoever. It was under warranty and they replaced it for me. Surprising it failed in 5 months because I'm very delicate with my laptop and all its accessories, but sounds like some are just lemons.

5. cpuguy18 thread starter macrumors regular

cpuguy18

Dont have another charger anyways my local computer store has them for $60 i will get one tomorrow.

6. AlexBass macrumors regular

My charger doesn't always show the light when charging, though it is fine. Then I have another charger which is a US charger, I use an adapter with that when I need to but it doesn't always charge. Then I change the fuse and it works fine... for another 2 days.

Anyway, my point is, try replacing the fuse in the charger and see if that helps.