MagSafe2 keeps falling off!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by evilpaddy, Aug 28, 2012.

1. evilpaddy macrumors regular

Got my new rMBP today. Sadly being returned due to dead pixels but I get to keep it while Apple sends me a new one.

I'm used to using my 2011 MBA on my lap. I find the MagSafe2 cable keeps falling out as my leg levers it up! It's driving me nuts! I much prefer the old style as it wouldn't easily come out with any upward/downward pressure...

That being said, at least this doesn't block the USB port... Any tips for avoiding this, or will I have to stat using it on a tray!

:)

2. tninety macrumors regular

MagSafe 2 is just weaker... You'll just have to live with it. Third parties can't even make one.

IMO they should have switched back to a normal power plug :rolleyes: MagSafe has been nothing but a nuisance to me. Plus with my Thunderbolt-Ethernet plugged in it's absolutely pointless since someone could trip over that instead.

3. evilpaddy thread starter macrumors regular

Im not certain that it's weaker, it's just the connector is much more proud of the MBP so you can get some leverage on it. Actually I wish they could find a way to move the connector to the rear but that would impair the hinge...

4. tninety macrumors regular

The magnet itself might even be a bit stronger, but overall because of the additional leverage the connection is weaker in that it breaks more often..:eek: I think.

5. ColoArtist macrumors regular

Maybe all MagSafe2's aren't created equal. I normally use my rMBP on my lap and I use it hours at a time.

The magnet might be slightly weaker than the one that came with my '09 MBP, but it's not weak enough that it falls out.

The magnet has a good grip losing it's connection accidentally maybe once in 2 months. There's a fair amount of pressure on the connector since the power outlet is on the right, so the cable is hanging down and looping under the machine.

I also have an adapter so I can use an older power unit in the den. With that on there there's considerably more leverage available so that one comes out much more easily, but it's on a desk, so it's not a problem.

If you've got an Apple store nearby maybe take your converter in and compare it to some others.

:apple:

6. evilpaddy thread starter macrumors regular

Good plan batman! :)

7. gbit macrumors member

strange it is weaker than the old one
    but by only some cable movement it should keep attached
    try replacing it perhaps

8. evilpaddy thread starter macrumors regular

It's not that bad, but if I move my leg slightly then the break in power is enough to make the screen dim. I'll get used to it!

9. ColoArtist macrumors regular

Okay, time to separate fact and fiction....load tests. :eek:

Using the highly precise, and highly expensive, test instruments at my disposal, I found my rMBP's MagSafe2 connector can easily support my iPhone 4S. It's at the light level. It'll support it at the end of the connector, but I just couldn't balance it there for a photo. :rolleyes:

So, that's 4.9 ounces (140 grams) of weight it can support, with ease.

Too much ease actually. I needed something heavier. Using another high precision instrument, I did some further testing.

The MagSafe2 can support 7.27 ounces (206 grams) at not only the light, but also out at the end of the connector's reinforcing jacket. That's in addition to the full weight of the cord. If I move the weight any further out it'll disconnect...so that's the limit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MagSafe vs. MagSafe2 SMACKDOWN

Well, how does that compare to the MagSafe for my '09 MBP? Surprisingly the original MagSafe is weaker. The connector won't hold 206 grams of weight at the end of it's connector....not even close. It's at it's limit when the weight is at the light level.

In a stunning defeat, the new kid on the block...the underdog with a bad reputation...the challenger rumored to have a weak chin, has come from behind and spanked the oldtimer.

MagSafe2, da winner! :eek::rolleyes::mad::cool::p

10. BeeJee macrumors 6502

I thought the '09 MacBooks had the T type connector as well? A lot of people are complaing that the left the L form factor for the "New Style" T.

11. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

12. ColoArtist macrumors regular

Yup, the '09 MagSafe has the same "T" style plug as the MagSafe2. Although it didn't stand up to the stress test as well, it did just fine in the "lap" test for years. ;)

13. evilpaddy thread starter macrumors regular

Well that puts me in my place! :D

14. ColoArtist macrumors regular

No, nothing like that. Mine seemed to be okay and I thought I'd try and quantify what "okay" was.

I was surprised how much weight it could hold and even more surprised to find the new MagSafe2 to be measurably stronger than the original.

Anyway, it does sound like your connector is a problem and worth taking in for some "smackdown" tests of its own. Don't forget to take along some testing instruments. ;)

15. evilpaddy thread starter macrumors regular

I meant no offense! :D

The magnet is indeed strong enough and mine will also support the weight of my iphone. The issue for me is more the T-connector which allows significant leverage when the MBP is on my lap. I'll get used to it i'm sure!

16. lazer155 macrumors regular

Yeah mine does the same thing. It pops right off if I let my leg touch it while it is sitting in my lab. The magnet does seem stronger than my 2010 mbp's magsafe. The 2012 mbp and rmbp just seem to have a lot more leverage when your leg pushes on them in your lap.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Mine seems to fall off far too easily. MagSafe on my 2010 MBP never fell off unless I applied some force. Just today MagSafe2 just fell off my rMBP for no apparent reason. The laptop was sitting on my desk, I had not moved it in a couple of days and boom, its off.

18. ColoArtist macrumors regular

Oh. In that case, you'll need a MagSafe2 to MagSafe1.5 conversion. ;)

[​IMG]

19. lazer155 macrumors regular

Does that loop that you made make it more difficult to disconnect the magsafe while it is sitting in your lap? I may try that if it does.

20. ColoArtist macrumors regular

I was just kidding, but it actually wasn't half bad. Except for that big loop of course. :rolleyes:

I've already taken it apart so it didn't get a proper testing. But it was fairly solid. I used some metal foil tape cut into strips. A little metal clip would be cool since the magnet could help hold it in place.

What a crazy world. :eek:

21. lazer155 macrumors regular

Lol I thought you might have been joking but wasn't positive. :eek: It would be nice to get the magsafe to stay on with computer resting on your lap. That's when it is most comfortable for me to use but now I have to sit it in an awkward position to keep the magsafe from popping off or use it on my desk.

22. mac jones macrumors 68040

I think it's mixed. The angled one could pose a problem at certain angles.

The adapters have to be used on all weight classes and the angled adapter was capable of moving the lighter computers. This new adapter seems to have a lower threshold for disconnection. (of course i'm speculating, but whatever).

frankly, with my use these breakaway adapters are a godsend. I'm constantly realizing this fact. Now some people are much more coordinated and never test these connectors. They are not as happy.

But really it's at the cost of mild annoyance for these people that catastrophe is avoided for the rest of us klutzes

23. Cassadian macrumors regular

My new Macbook Pro Retina replacement is having this same problem. What it happens to be is the the alignment of the magnet on the laptop is misaligned so that it is off-centre towards the bottom causing easy breakage.