Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deadfish

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2003
Chicago
Magsafe2 runs at a higher voltage than Magsafe, so I don't think Apple will make one.

That's simply not true. I have two MBA power supplies. Both are 45w, but one had magsafe and the other magsafe 2. I'd love to be able to use the newer one as a backup, but can't without a magsafe 2 to magsafe adapter.

johnyea

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2019
Magsafe 2 runs at 20v; magsafe runs at 16.5v (and the macbook air magsafe actually ran at 14.5v).
Hey everyone, am looking for a way to charge my magsafe 1 macbook pro late 2011 with a powerbank, without using the huge stock cable, any powerbank or magsafe1 adapter or cable that will work.
would really appreciate help

Nessdufrat

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2015
Between France and Switzerland
Hey, sorry, I know, we should let old thread die, but I thought my piece of information might be useful to somebody else.
I had a MagSafe 2 85W with a bad cable. I was in need of a MagSafe 85W to test a computer. I had a MagSafe cable (working) lying around.
I tried soldering it to the MagSafe 2 brick.
It doesn’t work.
It’s not the cable, the cable works. I put it on another MagSafe brick, it’s fine.
I put a MagSafe 2 cable on the MagSafe 2 brick, it works.
The MagSafe 2 85W brick will not accept a MagSafe 1 cable.
Or at least that’s my experience with it.
I also tested it with the older version of the MagSafe 1 cable, the T-shaped one (yes, the one before the L shaped MagSafe 1), same thing, doesn’t work.

that said, might be a limitation specific to the 85W power bricks.
But unfortunately that’s the one I needed and the 60W and 45W MagSafe 2 I have lying around are already repaired and I don’t really want to desolder everything just for the test.

but yeah, as someone was asking about that, I thought I might provide my answer based on my recent experience about it.

too bad about the absence of MagSafe 2 to MagSafe 1 converter. I’ll be selling my last MagSafe 2 device soon and I’ll have no way to test my chargers once I’ve repaired them. That sucks.

somebody in France tried grinding a MagSafe 1 to MagSafe 2 converter to revert it and pretends it works. I’m sure it does but I’m doubtful about it working on the 85W power supply. I might try it.

Reactions: AppleMacFinder

AppleMacFinder

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2009
I tried soldering it to the MagSafe 2 brick. It doesn’t work.
If there's no difference in voltages, then it's a bit strange you got such a problem. As far as I know, Macbook does the communication with a chip hidden inside Magsafe 1 plug before it starts to charge (and Chinese successfully hacked this and sold a lot of cheap "replica Magsafe 1" plugs on AliExpress and similar sites). But there shouldn't be any communication between a brick and a plug itself, if I'm correct. Did you check that the voltages are correct and everything soldered properly, so that a current is successfully reaching a charger's plug?

Nessdufrat

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2015
No, i must say I didn’t check the voltage as I didn’t have my multimeter at that moment (my old one broke down and I hadn’t received my new one yet), but I was really sure of my soldering work and of my cable. Like I said, the cable was working on another adapter. I tried two different MagSafe one cables. That’s me soldering it twice on the brick. (Of course, I paid attention to the polarity)
When I saw it wasn’t working, I tried both cables on MagSafe one bricks. Both were working.
I took a MagSafe 2 cable and soldered it on the brick. It worked.
I desoldered it. I tried one of the MagSafe one again.
Didn’t work.
I soldered the MagSafe 2 back it.
It worked.
The MagSafe one (not working one the brick) went back to a MagSafe one brick. It worked.
I’m pretty sure there some kind of weird thing going on.
I’ll be buying some new MagSafe 2 cable soon but right now the supplier I use doesn’t ship to France anymore because of corona.
I might try the grinding thing, though.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I think that we have some 15 of the bricks with probably nine Magsafe 1 and the rest Magsafe 2 and probably about five adapters. About half of these are sitting in storage. I bought extra power bricks so that I didn't have to carry them around with me between home and office and we've gone through a decent number of these things over the years.

I would guess that you could find these easily on the used market.

Nessdufrat

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2015
Oh, that’s usually not hard to find. Cheap cables are hard to come by though. I’m not paying 8$ for a cable when I’m selling the brick 25$ after a good 45 minutes of work on it. Most I’ll go for is around 4,50. (And obviously I tell the buyer the cable has been changed ^^)
the point is to repair broken bricks, not to stock pile them.
that case here was a particular one because I needed it for my own computer. I ended up buying a used one on eBay.
But now I’m curious and I want to investigate that thing. It’s weird.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.