Mail 2.1.1 Re-installing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Halcyon, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Halcyon macrumors 6502

My Mail application has started to act weird on me and I would like to simply reinstall it (clean if possible). I assume this can be done from the original disks that came with my Mac, being that there has been no upgrades to the Mail application (started on 10.4.6 - now on 10.4.10).

The big question is, how to backup all my mails before updating...as I want a clean install (i.e.- whole new preferences and I will manually create all new mail accounts).

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

TIA

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Nine times out of ten, reinstalling the actual app won't help you at all. Create a new user account to test my theory, and if it works normally there then you know the problem is within your Home folder and not with the app itself. :)

As for backing Mail up, make a copy of the Mail folder in your Home folder's Library. :)

3. Halcyon thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the tip.

Actually I repaired permissions (I had installed a bunch of updated software) and restarted my computer (my computer starys on 24/7 and the last time restarted was like 6 months ago) and the problem went away.

I don't know if repairing permissions had anything to do with it, but the repair log had a couple of lines that mentioned some problem with Mail. Probably restarting the computer had more to do with it, in any case the problem was solved.

In another thread I read that, for those who keep their computers on 24/7, it was good practice to restart it once in a while.

Thanks for your help.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, a restart's a brilliant thing. Restarting my iMac just got the system spellchecker working again. I'm glad Mail's working for you again. :cool: