Mail 3.5 can't find my e-mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Kenriver, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Kenriver macrumors newbie

Hello. I just upgraded to OS 10.5.6 (from OS 10.4.11). Everything is going pretty well except for Mail. It does find all my mail folders (and sub-folders), but it finds no e-mails that are in those folders. I was pretty freaked out as I have about 5,000 sorted e-mails, but I did see that they are sitting there under Users/Library/Mail/Mailboxes.

So they're where they should be and Mail sees the folders but not the messages. Anyone heard of this or have any suggestions?

If I were to click on an actual e-mail message file, should that then open what it says in Mail? I click on one and Mail launches but it doesn't show anything.

Additionally, mail won't quit. It just sits there. I have to force quite to stop it.

Thanks.

Ken

2. krizzlec macrumors newbie

Have you retried rebuilding the mailboxes? I had some issues when upgrading as well, and evrything was working after do that...

Hope it helps..
    k-

3. Kenriver thread starter macrumors newbie

Rebuild mailboxes

No, I haven't. How would I do that? Thanks.

Have you retried rebuilding the mailboxes? I had some issues when upgrading as well, and evrything was working after do that...

4. Kenriver thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem Fixed

I tried the "rebuild" from the mailbox menu and it didn't work. I then went to the Apple site (who would have thought) and it had an entry just like mine. I did what it said:

I went to the ~/Library/Mail folder and moved the MessageRules.plist and the backup to my desktop and restarted mail, and it all came together.

5. holly2000 macrumors newbie

Do you have a link to the Apple page? My problem is exactly as you describe, but I can't seem to fix it the way you said....

6. JediMeister macrumors 68040

It's this. The usual symptom is not having a Mail viewer window, and being unable to quit Mail without force quitting.