Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CLuv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 9, 2007
Northern VA, USA
Does anyone have specific settings they used to get their email in Mail 3.5 to work with Verizon FiOS?

My parents got FiOS today, and I can't seem to get them setup. Automatically create did not work, and using incoming.verizon.net and outgoing.verizon.net for the incoming and outgoing servers didn't seem to work. It appears Mail thinks yahoo should be placed between incoming and the outgoing part of the server information by default, but that is changed per Verizon's support site.

We could get to the outgoing server step, but when Mail was making the connection it sat for ~5 minutes. Verizon's support site sux, and I'm not lucky enough to have FiOS myself in order to help them. We did try the outgoing server with the "use authentication" checked and unchecked, no luck.

Any help would be appreciated, since they are lost without their email.

-Thanks

mikevio

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2008
I Feel Your Pain

Not sure why in the heck the two are not compatible!
I am having the exact same problem. Have not got anywhere with support.

As a work around, I got a gmail account and had all my verizon email forwarded to my gmail account. I did this in the Verizon Central Email preferences. GMail work great with Applemail 3.5 and picks up my forwarded verizon emails. The only downside is when replying to someone who sent an email to your verizon account, you will be doing so from the gmail account.

Hope this helps until they fix the issue,

Mike

Airforcekid

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
United States of America
Not sure why in the heck the two are not compatible!
I am having the exact same problem. Have not got anywhere with support.

As a work around, I got a gmail account and had all my verizon email forwarded to my gmail account. I did this in the Verizon Central Email preferences. GMail work great with Applemail 3.5 and picks up my forwarded verizon emails. The only downside is when replying to someone who sent an email to your verizon account, you will be doing so from the gmail account.

Hope this helps until they fix the issue,

Mike

Kinds sounds crazy but it may have something to do with the iPhone on. ATT and storm on verizon maybe one of them wants too turn you away from their services. Just a a shot into a black hole.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.