Mail 3.5 - where are the messages?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cannjoy, Mar 19, 2009.

1. cannjoy macrumors newbie

Okay, I set up Mail 3.5 to use IMAP to get messages from my gmail account. . The downloading went on for several minutes but there are only a few messages in my Inbox. Where are the rest? I don't want them on my computer. I want to access them and get rid of them.

At the bottom of the left hand panel it says USER NAME 905 which I take to mean 905 messages have arrived and are stored somewhere. But where? Yes, I've looked. Yes, I looked in Help. Yes, I searched this forum.

Thanks.

2. cannjoy thread starter macrumors newbie

Getting Worse

Now there are over 1600 messages on Mail. They just keep on coming, I guess. Come on guys, someone out there must have some ideas for me.

On the left when you open mail it says: MAILBOXES (including Inbox etc.), then ON MY MAC (personal mailboxes), then USER NAME and a number which looks to me like the number of messages that were imported.

I know that the answer is simple. So what is it?

3. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

I'm not sure I entirely know what you are talking about.

Take a screen shot of your app (command+shift+4) and attach it here.

4. cannjoy thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm

For some bizarre reason all the messages are suddenly available. I must have bumped something. It occurs to me (duh) that since the gmail account and the mail account are synchronized (which is what IMAP does, I gather) that I can't erase Mail w/o erasing gmail. Now, that wouldn't do at all. Anyway, all these messages are not taking up more than 2 or 3% of my space.

Well, thanks for being here. It gave me hope.

5. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Well actually it won't erase from gmail unless you set it up that way.

Here are my settings in gmail:

[​IMG]