Mail 4.0 is driving me nuts w/ Gmail...WTF HELP!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JustGretchen, Sep 1, 2009.

1. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

Anyone found a fix for any issues with gmail imap?

I am practically unable to send any messages with either of my 2 gmail accounts at this time.

I am an experienced imap/gmail user and can't figure out why his is. both of my Gmail accounts seem to get spinning gear next to them endlessly. Even after it seems all mail is downloaded.

it even seems to effect my ability to login to my gmail accounts via the web interface while mail.app is open.

ANY suggestions are helpful

2. Kyeris macrumors 6502

I had a problem similar to this. Delete the accounts, go to your keychain and delete all entries for your gmail account.

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

The gmail servers were down today. So the problem count have been on their end.

4. Kyeris macrumors 6502

5. JustGretchen thread starter macrumors 6502

Not really. It's been going on since i installed Snow Leopard.

My fault for not mentioning that important fact.

I will try the keychain thing...but I don't think it will work as I have completely deleted the accounts and even reinstalled SL as fresh and not upgrade, which could eliminate the keychain thing.

Something changed in mail 4.0 that has made it not play nice with gmail IMAP.

This is a post from another forum that very accurately details what's going on.
    "So while logged into Gmail's web interface, I opened Mail.app. Mail.app predictably timed out, and upon returning to Safari, noticed that I'm now getting an "Oops… the system encountered a problem (#717) - Retrying now…" error, then clicking Sign Out changes it to a (#104) error.

Closing the tab, waiting 5 minutes, then logging back in is the fix, until i launch Mail.app again, that is."

6. mattdee macrumors newbie

So...ah....how'd ya do that...

Open up Keychain Access
    Search for gmail
    Delete entry?

Go to Mail.app
    Remove GMail Account?

Thanks man!

7. MKCLLNS macrumors member

8. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

Finally! You're the first person who seems to be having exactly my problem ( i knew i couldn't be alone). This has been as of Wednesday 2am ET, so well after the general Gmail crash. I thought at first that it was just continued problems, but I haven't seen further stories of continued gmail server problems.

When I turn on Mail.app, it seems to connect alright for the first 5 or 10 seconds. It can usually download the subjects of any new messages and most of the messages themselves, but then it seems to lose connection to gmail. It once got stuck halfway through downloading a 2MB attachment, and then I could no longer get a connection, and I would either have a spinning circle, or triangle exclamation mark error symbol. New emails don't come through, and I can't send emails out. I also can't even access Gmail through the web unless I quit mail.app. If mail.app is still open, i get a Server Error when going to Gmail with Safari.

I haven't really tried anything yet. I'm hesitant to delete the Mail account, because it took a few hours to download all my gmail messages (I want to have access to those offline).

9. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

update: could be that it was on Google's side. It seems to be working a bit better for me right now. It's been behaving normally for the past half hour or so.

10. JustGretchen thread starter macrumors 6502

i have been using thunderbird and it's been 100% fine.

I decided to give mail another go tonight. it's downloading everything for my one account as we speak.

Strange thing is this only happened on the machine with the clean install. The upgrade went fine on my mini and it has no problems.