Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nope7308

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
Ontario, Canada
For whatever reason, my parents cannot send email using Mail 4.5. They have a Gmail IMAP account and the account is configured properly.

I even tried deleting the mail plist file, but that didn't do anything. I have completely removed the account, re-added it, but I still cannot send mail. The outgoing server is correct, password is correct, port is correct, etc. I have no idea what's causing this and it's frustrating as hell (partly because they won't stop bitching and complaining until I fix it).

Someone please help me!

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
You say the settings are correct, but that's really the only reason (other than "not being connected to the internet") a typical user wouldn't be able to send mail from Mail.app. Check again or re-add the account (without doing the automatic setup).

nope7308

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I'm 99.9% certain the settings are correct. I've gone through step-by-step tutorials on both Gmail and the Apple Discussion Forums and everything seems correct. I've set up the account both automatically and manually, and I've deleted/re-added multiple times. The problem still persists and it's been going on for about 3 months now.

If I remember correctly, I re-added the account about a month ago and it worked for a day or two and then crapped out again. I have no idea what's causing this... I'm so pissed off I might just set the damn thing up as a POP3 account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.