Mail 5.0 and IMAP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by NewToMacPro2011, Nov 8, 2011.

1. NewToMacPro2011 macrumors newbie

Hello!

Is there any way to tell Mac Mail not to store messages on the server once they are older than XX days? I have a huge IMAP inbox which I believe is causing performance problems on slow connections while it checks flags, synchronizes, etc.

I realize that I can build a rule to move emails to a local folder based on age but am looking for a more elegant solution.

Many thanks

2. waynep macrumors 6502

See if your email server supports POP3.

IMAP is generally considered a protocol to access mail on a server and leave it there. It's used to sync email on clients with a mail server. This allows you to use several clients with the same email account. I use Gmail's IMAP feature with my Mac Mail app, iPod Mail app, HP Touchpad Mail app, Palm Phone mail app, etc. My gmail account looks the same from any and all those client devices. Anything done one one, is replicated to the others.

POP3 is used to generally pull mail from a server, and usually has options to delete the mail from the server or not. If mail is deleted from the server, then it's generally best to use a single email client.

wayne

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The short answer is no. There is nothing in Mail that will tell the server to delete messages after X days.