Mail 5.2 Unable Find Reply

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by APlus84, Jun 23, 2012.

1. APlus84 macrumors member

APlus84

Recently started getting this Error message when attempting to view a reply I sent to a message.

"Mail was unable to find your reply to the message “Re: Barns”. You may have deleted the message."

The reply is in the Sent box of the correct account.

It had been working. Don't know if it started with the 10.7.4 update.

I also have moved to GMail accounts. Three GMail POP accounts, none are able to find the replies. Set to remove message from server after one month and Delete Sent/Trash after one month. Two are linked to my ISP email accounts which I have deactivated in Mail.

Doesn't seem this should be a factor but I used Time Machine to recover an old message. After the restore, one of my accounts reverted to the settings for an old RoadRunner I no longer have listed but retained the GMail icon in the accounts list. Odd.

Thanks for any light you might shed on this little problem. Doug.

2. APlus84 thread starter macrumors member

APlus84

I seem to have fixed this little problem.

In Pref>Account Information I had "Use only this server" checked under "Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP)". With that setting , mail was sent from the server associated with the email account - as would be expected - and ended up in the correct Sent box. However, I got the Unable to find mentioned above.

Unchecked "Use only this server" for all the accounts and now it works. Odd. Doug

3. APlus84 thread starter macrumors member

APlus84

Didn't stay fixed for long. Some work, some don't. Odd.