Mail 5.2

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by barrygou, Jun 12, 2012.

1. barrygou, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012

barrygou macrumors newbie

Mac Mail 5.2 - OSX Lion - It's OK but I found MS Outlook 2011 a little more business oriented. Mostly minor differences. One major - when attaching pdf's Mail puts them in the body. Windows Outlook recipients complain. Outlook for Mac attaches them up top.

Are there any rumors that Apple may be updating Mail in the near future? Maybe with Mountain Lion?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Mail gets updated when they update the operating system. Check check out the Mountain Lion sub forum for any possible changes.

3. Tiki35 macrumors 6502

I hate Outlook for the Mac compared to Mail.

The first thing I do when setting up a Mac for someone is install Attachment Tamer. Solves the issue you're talking about.

http://lokiware.info/Attachment-Tamer

4. barrygou thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I'm trying Attachment Tamer now. Although it still places the attachment in the body of my outgoing message and shows the attachment link in the body when I send a test email to myself. (I'll have to ask my co-workers how it appears on their Windows / Outlook machines.)

Maybe there is a Preference setting to place the attachment "up top" on a new line below the Subject line as in Outlook? (Not a big deal but emails with many .pdf attachments in the body tend to look cluttered.)

Also, Outlook 2011 for Mac has a (in my opinion) really cool feature. There is a button on the top right of the InBox window titled "Delete from Server". So if you have an inconsequential email in the InBox, which you never need again, you can delete it both from the InBox and off the POP server with one click. So early AM's I go to my iMac and delete those types, then when I open my iPhone and iPad mail apps those are not there to download and clutter those 2 InBoxes. Is there a way to do that in Mail?

5. Tiki35 macrumors 6502

Don't worry, your Windows users will see the attachment just like they would if it was sent PC to PC.

The best part about Mail over Outlook is when sending a photo. You can resize the photo right from the compose message window without having to use third-party software. Just look in the lower right hand corner of Mail, you can change the size to small, medium, large or actual size. Super useful.

The only thing similar I can see in Mail regarding deleting a message from your POP server is in the Account preferences > Advanced. You can set it so the message is deleted from the server whenever the message is moved from your Inbox.