Mail 8.2 Saving Attachments

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SD-B, Apr 25, 2015.

1. SD-B macrumors 6502

SD-B

Love Mail but unless i can get a fix for this, am going to use something else.
    I tell myself a thousand times to remember this next time and everytime I forget and i am tired of this one very stupid (IMO)job

I must save hundreds of photo attachments and am forever clicking on SAVE AS in File rather than SAVE ATTACHMENTS

It constantly takes tiime browsing to a folders buried deep and as soon as i get there i realize i have done it yet again for the millionth time, clicked on the wrong one and am left with an .rftd rather than a jpeg.

Does anyone know of any fix that can allow me to press SAVE AS to save the jpeg please?

T.I.A.

2. 0d085d macrumors regular

You can't simply reassign the functions of UI elements without recompiling the application.

However, you can create a keyboard shortcut for Save Attachments like this:

1. Open Automator and create a new workflow. Choose "Service" as the type.
    2. At the top of the window, change "Service receives" to "no input".
    3. Go to Utilities in the library in the left hand sidebar and double click "Run Applescript". Replace the text in the box that appears with the following:
      Code:
      tell application "System Events"
      	tell process "Mail"
      		set frontmost to true
      		tell menu bar item "File" of menu bar 1
      			tell menu "File"
      				click menu item "Save Attachments…"
      			end tell
      		end tell
      	end tell
      end tell
    4. Click the play button in the "Run Applescript" box and give Automator the permissions it asks for.
    5. Now save the workflow as "Save Attachments in Mail" (it won't ask for a location).
    6. Now go to System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Shortcuts. Click on "Services"
    7. Find "Save Attachments in Mail" (it'll probably be at the bottom) and click "add shortcut".
    8. Press a key combination. Make it something rarely used, such as cmd+semicolon.
    9. Quit System Preferences and Automator. You're ready to go!

You can now press cmd+; in Mail to save attachments.

3. SD-B, Apr 26, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2015

SD-B thread starter macrumors 6502

SD-B

Perfect!
    Thats the answer!

I knew I would not be able to change it but figured that there might be a fix, such as you have offered or at least in one of the many apps, such as, for example'MacPilot" there may have been an option that woujld have had me go around it one way or the other.

But this will work just fine..

IMO its such a stupid command that was done to that app.
    SAVE IS is just one of those commands you do without thought.

So it doesn't matter how many times I tell myself NOT to hit that button by the next time, even only 60 seconds later, I have forgotten in amongst the other things I am doing and hit it each time.....and I am tired of swearing at myself for forgetting it each time but I know I will always do so and automatically hit SAVE AS each and every time!

it's enough i was about to buy aother program and use it......although i am happy with everything else but i personally consider it a major flaw to that app so this should fix it.

Thanks again!

4. liya1201 macrumors member

To save attachments from Mail, I always click the "Paperclip icon" indicated by the red arrow.

Attached Files:

5. 0d085d macrumors regular

That'll probably cause less frustration in the next update when the menu item inevitably changes from "Save Attachments…" to "Save Attachments" and breaks everything.

6. liya1201 macrumors member

Alternatively, you can assign a "Shortcut" to "Save Attachment" in Mail through "Keyboard" in "System Preferences".

Attached Files: