Mail, accents and Windows compatibility; Signatures

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MichelB, Jan 28, 2008.

1. MichelB macrumors newbie

I am emailing with Mail mainly in french and my PC "receptors" receive the message with question marks instead of accents «é;è;à etc.». I switched from RTF (format) to "Text" thinking it would resolve the problem but it did'nt. Any ideas? Also, I would love to incorporate the logo of my organization integrated in the signature without having it as an "attached file". Thanks very much.;)

2. funkychunkz macrumors 6502a

funkychunkz

The default font on their computers might not have accented characters, so their computers might not display it properly. Another possibility is that you have your text encoding (in mail, under the message menu) set to something strange- it should be set to 'default' or 'unicode'.

As for the signature, see this post http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=118801.

3. CaptainHaddock macrumors 6502

Windows is sucky and inconsistent when it comes to text encoding. Ask your email recipient to change his text-viewing encoding. If he's using Outlook, it's probably something like View -> Encoding.

One other thing you could try, though you'd have to do it with every message, is change your outgoing encoding from the sensible default to a Windows-specific encoding method.
    Message -> Text Encoding -> Windows Latin 1 (for example)

Still, basic accented characters like those used in French shouldn't be a problem. Your mail recipient might just have a foobarred computer.