Mail account size query.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by christurbo, Jan 16, 2012.

1. christurbo macrumors regular

My Gmail mail account size is 1.7GB. When I set this up on Lion - when fully downloaded the mail folder is almost 5GB!

Why?

Many thanks.

2. Stewart21 macrumors regular

Check to see if it's downloaded your Trash or Bin folder as well. I don't think Google count them against your allowance so that might explain the discrepancy.

Stewart

3. christurbo thread starter macrumors regular

No that is not the case.

Have a look at my mailbox properties:

[​IMG]

Properties of my mail folder:

[​IMG]

I strangely have noticed that I have 2 sections in my mail - my main inbox on Mail, but lower down there is a Googlmail [gmail] folder, I am thinking that there is duplicate? How can I check?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. jtara macrumors 65816

Storage of any kind of data (not just email) can be radically different between different servers, applications, etc. Email clients typically store mail in some kind of database, and there is overhead to indexing. This can be 2X or more.

I don't know if Google measures the number of bytes in your emails, or the actual storage requirement on their server. But it's kinda irrelevant, because the amount of storage used in a given client is GOING to be different, regardless.

Somebody using Windows, or Linux, or using Postbox on OSX (as I do) is going to report different numbers.

I'd say it's nothing to be concerned about.