Mail accounts all offline

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sealdriver, Jan 15, 2014.

1. sealdriver macrumors newbie

Hi

Mail has suddenly started showing all my accounts as offline, they all have the exclamation mark next to them. When I click on it I get the message that Mail can't connect to the server on port xxx. I select 'take all accounts online' and they remain offline.

I have restarted my Mac and removed all plug-ins (MailTags, Spamsieve etc) and tried again, the same thing happens.

All other Internet connections are fine.

I launched and configured GyazMail and that too works fine, no problems.

It would seem, therefore, that the problem lies with the Mail app. Has anyone any ideas what may be going on here and have any suggestions as to how I might get Mail back up running again?

Many thanks

Model: MacPro3,1
    OS Version: OS X 10.9.1 (13B42)
    Processor: 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB
    Storage: WDC WD5000AAKS-41YGA1 MediaWDC WD3200AAJS-41VWA1 MediaTRUSTED Mass Storage Media
    Memory: 14 GB

2. Macmonter macrumors regular

Macmonter

Mail Acc't Offline

I don't know whose mail server you're using or if it's an IMAP or POP3 account, but a couple of weeks ago I had had the same issue and found that Yahoo did a security update that required a change in POP3 port number. Once I changed to the new port number, everything was back to normal.

3. sealdriver thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi
    I'm using my own mail domain on a rented host, Gmail, GMX and iCloud. I doubt if all the ports would have changed at once. I used the same details to set up GyazMail too.

Cheers

4. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I would suggest checking with your mail server provider. I have two different ones I use. My regular ISP and my web provider. Last week my ISP was doing some upgrades to their system and my email addresses that I use on their mail servers were down, on and off, for periods of time. And they have a nasty habit of not notifying their clientele.

My web mail servers were never a problem due to being with a different provider. They stayed online even though my other mail servers were offline.

This is why I suggest checking that your mail server provider has not done some changes or is upgrading their system which can be causing the problem for you. Quick contact with them may provide you with a quick answer.

5. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

OP says it's with multiple providers.

Did this happen after your 10.9.1 update?

Try repairing your Keychain...just tossing that out there.

6. sealdriver thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, there are four providers so it's not a provider issue, also GyazMail is using the same settings.

I did try repairing the keychain but this had no effect.

Cheers

7. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

You can test Mail in a new User to eliminate problems in your User's folder or try starting with clean profile.

Quit Mail

Delete all account in System Preferences > Internet Accounts

Go to your User's Library folder.
    Rename your Mail folder. For example "Mail ORIG"

Go to Containers in the User's Library folder.
    Delete the com.apple.mail folder.

Go to Preferences in the User's Library folder.
    If you find any com.apple.mail.plist files, delete these.

Log out under the Apple in the Menu bar
    Open Mail.
    Add accounts.

8. sealdriver thread starter macrumors newbie

9. sealdriver thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi
    I did as suggested above but after adding one account it was still showing as unable to connect.

I checked my wife's account and mail gives the same problem there too so it is not account related.

Any ideas what may be the problem?

Thanks.

10. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

Most likely your settings are incorrect. If you open the Connection Doctor under Window in the Menu bar you should see two entries for the account. Do you see a green or red light?

I suspect your provider has changed settings needed to connect. You'll need to visit their web site to get setup instructions.

BASICS Send & Receive

1. If you can send but not receive you have a bad POP or IMAP configuration (Incoming server)
    2. If you can receive but not send then you have a bad SMTP configuration (Outgoing server)

Check under advanced settings. Check your provider's website for exact info on authentication, SSL and ports.

Some ISPs require SSL for receiving
    Most ISPs require advanced settings now for SMTP

11. sealdriver thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply but if you read my posts above you will see it affects four different mail servers and I use the exact same settings in other email apps with no problem.

However, I reinstalled Mavericks via the recovery partition and all now seems well.