Mail accounts.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Microwe, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Microwe macrumors newbie

I have just had a very frustrating time transferring folders/files from one Mac to another. I replaced the old Mail folder in User>Library>Mail with the new imported one. Mail had not been set up before on this Mac.

Every time I opened Mail I was prompted to create an account. I created one and when Mail opened I had all the Mailboxes transferred but no accounts/messages. The transfer was successful from one Mac to the other as I can see the Accounts/messages in the new Mail folder.

Can someone please put me out of my misery and tell me where I am going wrong. I just need to see the Accounts+messages that I transferred. I am confused because why are the old mailboxes there but not the Accounts?

Michael.

2. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Just copying over the ~/Library/Mail folder is not going to do it. Also make sure you copy over ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist file as well before you start Mail.app. That is the file that contains all of the account info.

3. Nikh macrumors regular

You'd better use Carbon Copy Cloner or similar software to copy the whole Mac OS installation from one Mac to another. That will save you a lot of time :)

4. GordysGadgets macrumors newbie

Cloning a good idea?

I have a new MBP pending and I'm being proactive and reading boards to find the best solution for getting the data over. In the past I have used migration assistant but, my MBP has become a beachball too often and with a new machine I am leaning way back to years on Windows and believe a clean break is the answer.
    Is Cloning really smart? Or is starting fresh the way to go? I know it's the which came first question asked over and over, but in reading this thread it seems cloning is the best solution. I can do either way. Which is the best way to make the new machine shine perform it's best?
    Thanks