Mail Addresses

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Slrman, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Slrman macrumors member

Slrman

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I've been searching the forums for almost an hour and can't find it.

Where is the address book for Mail kept?

2. devburke Guest

/Applications/Address Book.app

Did you try Spotlight?

3. Slrman thread starter macrumors member

Slrman

At the risk of sounding hopelessly ignorant, what is spotlight? I don't see it in my Apps. How would that help me if I had it?

4. devburke Guest

Ah, a newbie (as it says under your username)!

Spotlight is the incredibly useful search function in OS X. You can use it to find anything on your Mac instantaneously.

In its simplest form, it’s found up in the upper-right corner of your screen in the menu bar as a magnifying glass:

Screen shot 2009-09-14 at 7.42.49 PM.png

You can click it (or, as I find more useful, press cmd-space) to activate it, and type in your search:

Screen shot 2009-09-14 at 7.44.00 PM.png

And there you go!

Also, if you’re in a Finder window, you’ll find a search box much like the one in Safari. This is another way to get to Finder, and you can further customize your searches (then can actually be really powerful and specific, although most people stick with the quicker easy ones).

Apps like Mail make use of it too.

Enjoy!

5. Slrman thread starter macrumors member

Slrman

Sorry, but I did not find Spotlight to be even mildly useful for this search. it brought up all kinds of things but nothing of what I wanted.

What I want is the file of all the Address Book addresses so I can convert them to a .cvg file to transfer to Thunderbird. (I have the instructions for doing that)

I guess the answer I was looking for was something like. <user>/Library/Applications/...

Attached Files:

6. devburke Guest

The app isn’t just used for Mail, it’s a standalone app in your Applications folder. It’s just that it integrates well with Mail. But it’s called “Address Book”, not “Mail Addresses”, so that’s why it didn’t show up in your search. Launch Address Book either from Spotlight or from your Applications folder, then highlight all of the addresses (cmd-a) and go to File > Export > Export vCard…

It makes a vCard file, not a cvg (damn you spell check) file, but I’m sure Thunderbird can take vCards, since it’s pretty much the standard.

7. Slrman thread starter macrumors member

Slrman

Thanks. That's exactly what I needed. Now, if I could only transport my saved messages to Thunderbird, I'd be fine. But other than laborious;y doing copy and paste, that seems to be not in the cards. I don't usually keep many for long, so maybe the problem will correct itself.

8. devburke Guest

Do you use IMAP for your e-mail, or POP?

9. Slrman thread starter macrumors member

Slrman

10. devburke Guest

If you go into your preferences and accounts, does it say Gmail IMAP or POP here?

Attached Files:

11. Slrman thread starter macrumors member

Slrman

Sorry, I've been away breaking my thumb. :(

It says Gmail pop.

I didn't know I used the left thumb so much typing!

12. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Isn't it my understanding that in the default installation of the operating system that Address Book is not only the first item in the Applications folder, but also on the Dock?

Not to be mean to the OP, most just curious since I can't remember if I added them or if they were there by default.

13. devburke Guest

Balls dude. Hope you broke it doing something fun at least!

If you set up your Gmail account with IMAP, it’ll do 2-way syncing of your mailboxes (meaning your sent folder in Mail will match your sent folder in Gmail). So if you then set up in Thunderbird with IMAP also, all your messages would still be right there already. You could set up your account for IMAP and drag of your messages to IMAP folders.