MAIL almost dead waving it's legs in the air!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cheeryble, Aug 16, 2009.

1. cheeryble macrumors regular

Hi from Chiangmai

I think earlier I fiddled with MAIL in the dock earlier, can't remember why.
    Whatever. this evening there is no red label next to the MAIL icon in the dock showing the number of unread messages.
    When I went to open it it didn't and I'm not sure how it did open.
    HOWEVER.
    When the main window came up the inbox and all the rest were empty.
    When I ran a common word like "and" in the search the indexed list came up but they wouldn't open.
    Get Mail is greyed out as are Reply etc.
    When I click New Message a new window opens as normal but
    1. regular email addresses aren't indexed.
    2. Cannot write in main field
    3. CAnnot close the window

What next chaps?
    thanx
    Cheeryble

ps:
    for a week or so the "getting mail" animation next to say gmail has been not turning. Also been dodgy sending often had to wait and had started using gmail in Firefox if in a hurry

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Delete preferences, (located in ~/Library/Preferences, just find something containing "mail" in the file name), restart the computer, then re-open mail. You may have to rebuild your account, but it should start working again.

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Before you delete the com.apple.Mail.plist, if you have any accounts set up as POP, backup/make a copy of the ~/Library/Mail folder. That way if you pull the Mail plist and have to re-set up the account you can import the mailboxes from your POP accounts using Mail's import mailboxes feature from the File menu. This will avoid any loss of critical emails.

4. cheeryble thread starter macrumors regular

Teg and jedimeister

bloody wonderful thanx v much
    took me all of about ten minutes to have the whole thing reno'ed and up and running!

cheers
    Cheeryble