Mail and Aperture

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Birdy1062, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Birdy1062 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; fr-fr) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hi guys,

New IMac (love it) for entire family in replacement of Macbookpro for me alone...

We 4 accounts, 2 for kids, 1 for wife and 1 for myself.

Each kid has it's own photo library and it's ok.
    For adults we have 1 photo library and 1 music library both under my account. Managed to have both libraries accessible from ITunes and Aperture for both accounts, works fine.

Only flaw is that within Mail wife has no access to Aperture library to insert pics into mails. However she can open Aperture and drag and drop pics into a mail but it isn't as friendly as to open mail dedicates photo box.

I presume it's due to the fact that Aperture library lies under my account and that I shared my pics and music libs with her.

Anyway to give her access to pics directly from insideail without opening Apeeture?

Would greatly appreciate any help!

Tks

Birdy

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Did you try moving the aperture library to a centralized folder that you both have access to?

3. Birdy1062 thread starter macrumors member

This is what I did, I believe. Aperture library is inside my home folder and shared with wife.
    Inside her folder there is no Aperture library as in the preference pane I defined the Aperture library inside my home folder as default......

I suppose that's why mail doesn't show up any Aperture pics as the library isn't in her home folder. I would like to be able to tell mail that the Aperture library is in my home folder and not her!:confused:

4. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I use Aperture a fair amount, but I have never tried to have two different accounts sharing a single library. I do routinely export and import projects for field use (MBA) and main computer (iMac) use. However, more than one user never shares a library.

I would think the best way to accomplish your goal would be:
    • Have a single Aperture library owned and managed by a single account.
    • Within A3, create albums or amsart albums that contain the select pictures (maybe 4+ stars only)... organized by topics.
    • Share these albums with other users -or-
    • Import these albums into her iPhoto account
    I have hundreds of thousands of pictures stored in A3 projects. By creating Albums and Smart Albums... I organize the best pictures for further use via email, website, slideshows, etc. This is the area that A3 really shines... allowing you to create value by distiling a large mess of pictures into interesting collections.

/Jim

5. Birdy1062 thread starter macrumors member

Hi Jim,

How do you this?
    Tks

Birdy