Mail and Broken Links

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by poppe, Jun 15, 2007.

1. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

What am I doing wrong with Mail.

I can't send any links to any of my family members or friends because 90% of the links are broken... I am always reading digg and find a website/article that I think they would find interesting so I go to the address and do Apple+A, then Apple+C. Then I click on Mail and in the message area I press Apple+V.

The link looks just like it was in the browser but when I send it people will get a link that is a half hyperlink/or no hyperlink what soever (if hyperlink means that you can click on the link and it goes to the web address).

What is am I doing wrong?

I have HTTPMail Plugin Version 1.49 by Daniel Parnell installed as I was told it will help with emails from Microsoft outlook.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I think it's a formatting/encoding problem with characters being converted to different formats by different clients. Get one of your friends to send back the URL of one of the non-functioning sites.

3. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

You mean have them forward it back to me? and the sites are functioning. Its just the links are not...

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

No, I mean for you to get a copy of the final link that isn't working, and to compare it with the original link you sent out. This is just to see if I was right about the contradicting encoding being the reason for some characters changing and the link eventually not working. :)

5. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

I have a feeling it is because I am sending from Mail to Outlook? I'll look that up though. Thanks.

I'll get back to you when I know more.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. They use different text encoding and Outlook 'translates' some characters (usually spaces) into something slightly different, screwing up some URLs. I'm not sure if it works, but try selecting a word, pressing CONTROL, clicking on it, selecting Edit Link and then pasting the URL here. You'll end up with something like this instead of http://www.macrumors.com/ in full. It might bypass the encoding problem...