Mail and Contacts crash

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mackmgg, Nov 8, 2008.

1. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

whenever i open Mail.app it is at the loading screen then goes back to the home screen. whenver i open contacts it loads i can scroll... for like 5-10 seconds then it freezes and goes back to the home screen. whenever i try to open the Mail, Contacts, and Calendar preference, it freezes with the button blue. calendar works fine. i am using an ipod touch 2g 2.1.1

thanks

2. mackmgg thread starter macrumors 65816

mackmgg

3. Kookiez macrumors newbie

I have the same problem with my iPod touch 3g. Also any 3rd party apps that have anything to do with the Address book or mail will crash. I am on 3.1.3 and this happened just before I upgraded to 3.1.3. Really would like a fix for this.

4. AOTA macrumors newbie

ok, so i found a fix for this, but your probably not going to like it. i had the same problem with my 3g iphone, but the notes were not working as well. after searching the web for a while, i came to the conclusion that the notes file was corrupted. so i deleted it, restarted my iphone and they worked again. well, wasn't long before i began to realize that the address book files were also corrupted. so i had to delete that as well and let it make a brand new one.

basically what i am saying is, your address book is most likely corrupted in some way, and you are going to have to delete the file and let the iphone make a new one. to do this you can either

Option 1
    SSH into "private/var/mobile/Library/AddressBook" and delete the "AddressBook.sqlitedb" file. hopefully you have a backup with an uncorrupted file with which you can restore it with. otherwise, your out of luck.

Option 2
    install mobile terminal if you don't already have it. then type in
    "cd /private/var/mobile/Library/AddressBook" and hit return. then type in "rm AddressBook.sqlitedb" and hit return.

notes:
    1. your Iphone/Ipod touch must be jailbroken for either of these to work
    2. you must restart your iphone/Ipod touch after both methods before any affect will be noticed.
    3. you must have OpenSSH installed through cydia for method one to work
    4. the second option is based on a method of deleting the notes file, and while it shouldn't be any different, I guarantee nothing.

links:
    SSH program for windows: click here
    SSH setup for Mac: click here

other:
    if you have any trouble with anything feel free to PM me or just search google. there are plenty of forums with help topics on these programs.

5. aamirafridi macrumors newbie

Solution

Somehow my Region Format setting (under "International" in the main settings menu) was changed to "English". Once I changed it to United States all was right with the settings menu (no more freezing/dumping out to the Home screen) and the changes I made to my calendar format in Outlook/Exchange (on my PC) were carried over to my iPhone.

6. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

My iPod touch is working fine. I don't know if I have 2G or 3G, but no speed problems either. That said, update is not too interesting as my iPad has all but replaced my use of my iPod Touch.