Mail and Gmail settings question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SebZen, Oct 3, 2009.

1. SebZen macrumors 6502

Hi there. I have terrible OCD with computers Mail is driving me crazy. When I configured Gmail with Mail, a new section in Mail opens, with an [IMAP] folder containing stuff like All mail, Deleted Messages, Drafts, etc. Why is this necessary? I REALLY don't want it there.

And I also notice if I log into Gmail itself from the website, I have that IMAP folder added on.

How can I get rid of all that and not have those extra folders?

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Why not just click the little arrow so that all the folders collapse.

You cannot delete things like the All Mail, Starred, etc since these are folders on the server that Gmail needs.

3. SebZen thread starter macrumors 6502

They are collapsed but it still bugs me because I see no reason for them to be in the Mail app to begin with. I never used them so I don't want them to be there :( I know it's stupid but it's my OCD

What if I configure the account with just POP3 instead of IMAP? Will I still have those folders?

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

They are there because IMAP is essentially a direct mirror of the server, so if they're on the server, they have to be in mail.

POP3 is passive, it just downloads mail from the server, so it would not show the servers folders in mail. You do lose some functionality by using POP3 over IMAP though.

5. SebZen thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah, great! I don't care about function because I just check mail and that's pretty much it. I'll give POP3 a try.