Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

memofromturner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2005
Hi all,

How does one set up Mail to support a Gmail account?

Here's what I've tried with no such luck:

Account type = pop
Incoming Mail Server: pop.gmail.com
Outgoing Mail Server: smtp.gmail.com
Also set Server port to: 587
Check the box "Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)
Authentication set to "Password"

advanced tab Port to 955 and checked the box to use SSL again and change the Authentication to password too.

What am I doing wrong?

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
Yeah... the SMTP on Microsoft's Outlook hasn't been working... could that be the problem?

memofromturner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2005
okay got it working

mkrishnan said:
Port to 955 or port to 995?

Yeah, you're right... it's definitely Port 995. Woops.

Also, as iLikeMyiMac suggested, I did forget to enable POP in Gmail. :eek:

Thanks for all your help; It is now working. The only thing that's confusing to me is how Replied Messages are grouped in my Inbox. So it appears I have mail from myself. -That's the only bit I don't like.

Thanks again everyone :)

Memo

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
dotdotdot said:
Yeah... the SMTP on Microsoft's Outlook hasn't been working... could that be the problem?

FWIW, now that I think about it, I get a lot of connection failures on GMail. Second only, perhaps, to connection failures for accessing Hotmail through httpmail.... But it does work in general for me. This is with Mail.app, though, not Outlook. But what do you mean, that Outlook's SMTP hasn't been working? With any server? Could it just be a problem you have with the server you are using? I'd figure it would be inter-net-ional news if Outlook users who weren't on Exchange servers couldn't send any e-mail, considering how many of them there are out there....

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
memofromturner said:
Thanks for all your help; It is now working. The only thing that's confusing to me is how Replied Messages are grouped in my Inbox. So it appears I have mail from myself. -That's the only bit I don't like.

In Mail? Hmmm...what? :eek: Do you have the Organize by Thread option selected in the View menu? But even that should not put *your* reply messages in the Inbox.

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
solution

i've been experiencing the same problems trying to set up my gmail account with Mail tonight. you aren't doing anything incorrectly (well, except the 955 thing), but it won't work anyway, for now. here's why:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group...c9118f389b0/955d787cd42cb24d#955d787cd42cb24d

hope this solves your problem. it popped up on the Gmail group forum while i was browsing looking for solutions.

if you are too lazy to read it, apparently gmail's POP servers are temporarily not functioning properly or are just plain broken

well, i guess this wasn't a solution.....but knowing Google, everything should be in order by tomorrow morning :). night all

--
EDIT

weird, just after i write this message, it starts working for me! i hate it when things like this always happen.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
mkrishnan said:
FWIW, now that I think about it, I get a lot of connection failures on GMail. Second only, perhaps, to connection failures for accessing Hotmail through httpmail.... But it does work in general for me. This is with Mail.app, though, not Outlook. But what do you mean, that Outlook's SMTP hasn't been working? With any server? Could it just be a problem you have with the server you are using? I'd figure it would be inter-net-ional news if Outlook users who weren't on Exchange servers couldn't send any e-mail, considering how many of them there are out there....

GMAIL
------
Mozilla Thunderbird: Perfect
Outlook: Can only download emails when setting up account, can send emails... can not download new emails.

smtp.Gmail.com, Port 465, SSL Checked

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
memofromturner said:
Yeah, you're right... it's definitely Port 995. Woops.

Also, as iLikeMyiMac suggested, I did forget to enable POP in Gmail. :eek:

Thanks again everyone :)

Memo

You need to login to Gmail and disable the 'conversation' messages... so your replies don't go to the inbox...

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
mkrishnan said:
In Mail? Hmmm...what? :eek: Do you have the Organize by Thread option selected in the View menu? But even that should not put *your* reply messages in the Inbox.

well it depends, I get replies in my inbox if i send something from the gmail site. confused the crap outta me the first time, but it makes some sense, i guess. since you don't send it from your normal mail client, gmail assumes you'll want a copy somewhere on your computer, so it sends it to you (as opposed to mail filing it in sent mail i guess).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.